Sea Ford reel identification

Started by milne, November 13, 2018, 05:03:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milne

Well I was quite excited to get my first 3 poster !
It's a Sea Ford, has Pat pending on the face plate, dark maroon in colour
Unfortunate about someone scribing their name into it,  thanks Marea.
After reading up about them, I was really hoping to find the JK marking on the inside of the tail plate, Alas No.
The only marking was the no 1 on the inside of the face plate.
Anyway, I'm pretty happy with it, adding to my pre war collection and my first 3 poster.
I paid $60 plus freight for it, which I thought was Ok ?
Any info on it would be appreciated, Cant wait till mike's book is available again, I can see how beneficial it would be,
Rather than annoying those here all the time.

Col

oc1

Wow!  A Koph-style clutch from Penn.  If I understand Mike's book correctly, Penn only made that style clutch in 1933.  The Sea Ford model was introduced in 1933 and discontinued in 1941.
-steve

milne

Hi Steve,
             I don't have the book yet ( out of stock)
Does it say anywhere in the book, when the 3 pillar ceased ? or perhaps the maroon colour ?

Col

oc1

Sorry Col, I was editing my earlier post above when you replied.  
I don't see mention of the number of cross bars changing.
I should send you my copy Mike's book because you would get more use out of it.
-steve

milne

LOL
Thanks Steve.
I was doing some research on Orca and there was mention of a 3 post Sea Ford being a 33 model.
I'll be right happy if that were true.
I am having the option of buying a few from a collection, YES, it sure would be good to have Mike's book in front of me.
I've taken a gamble on a few, I bought another Bridge city yesterday, different to the one I already have.
This is sure an addictive habit Steve.

Col 

oc1

There may be a twelve step program.  

Mike says they stopped making that style clutch because of a patent infringement with Pflueger.  The Koph patent was issued in 1895 and was good for seventeen years from the date of application.  Pflueger may have patented a design improvement after the Koph patent expired.  Shakespeare was using that design at least by 1938 if not before so the Pflueger patent must have been applied for by 1921. I seem to recall seeing it used by others but cannot remember who.  There are some Pflueger history experts over on ORCA
-steve