Continuing the Tradition (Surfmaster 200)

Started by xjchad, November 13, 2018, 11:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

My 3rd born turned 7 this weekend and he's been bugging me to let him build a reel like his older siblings.
He's a bit more distractable than his brother, but very enthusiastic!
I dug out a Surfmaster 200 that was already in decent shape and let him start taking it apart. 
I love this part since I took everything apart when I was young. 
I don't give them many instructions, just the reel and Penn wrench.  He got it almost completely apart on his own and only lost the dog spring once  ;D
Then he went to town scrubbing the parts with a toothbrush.

We laid out all the parts and lubes and I walked him through the assembly process.  He did a great job and even anticipated some of the steps before I told him.

I tried to talk him into some mods, but he wanted to put it back just like it was.  (I did get him to use a Newell stand and carbontex drag though.)

He did such a great job and I'm super proud of him! 

Just need to spool it up and find him a rod for it.  Time to take them to the pier!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Swami805

Nice job. The acorn don't fall far from the oak!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Darin Crofton

Now this post makes me smile, great job to both of you!!!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Alto Mare

excellent work young repair man, soon you'll be showing us how to do it.
Great job!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Maxed Out

Great job, and next will be one of dads senators  :)  :)........The sky is the limit !!

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

scrinch

Nice, Chad. There's nothing that develops an interest like jumping in and getting the hands dirty.

Brewcrafter

That's great!  Who needs screen time?  Good job!

mo65

Great work Chad...and cheaper than video games! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

I admire the way your wife and you are raising your kids, Chad —

Good life training.

BTW — you can get a SS drop in mesh guard to prevent parts from going down the Garbage Disposal for about $3 at Dollar General.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mizmo67

~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

George6308

We need more of this younger generation to keep out favorite sport growing. Beats an iPhone any day.

Petah

That's just awesome!!!! I keep trying to get my nephews to do the same thing but I always seem to be the last person
at the table with a bunch of loose parts!!!!! So happy that you have kids enthusiastic enough to do this!!!

Peter

Christopher M Songer

Always go forward, never go straight

Donnyboat

Good work Chad, nice to see the young men  interested, in repairing there gear, & great memories for you all to look back on, & if thats a smile for placing a reel together, how big will it be when he catches a fish, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

sandflea5

Sorry but I just saw this. So very positive. Reminds me of when I used to help my father change points and plugs in his Rambler in the '60's. Kids nowadays need