Coronado

Started by Cuttyhunker, November 14, 2018, 05:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuttyhunker

Just got a Coronado with a waffle, it's working but seems to be very dry internally. Loosened the take apart screw but the head-plate doesn't budge.  My question as the oil soaks in which way to take apart, clockwise or counter to open it up when looking down on the head. Thanks
Doomed from childhood

foakes

Typically, on JM's, SM's, 99's, and Squidders —it is counterclockwise.  So I would assume this to be the same — could be wrong though.

I would recommend taking care — since that sideplate is nearly irreplaceable and original to the provenance of the rest of the reel.  The plate weak spots will be around the take-apart-screw & the hidden keeper slot pins.

Should be easy enough though, after a good soak and some thought.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Swami805

The side plate could have swollen with age. Who knows the last time it was off. Sometimes helps to put it in the freezer for a few hours and it might shrink a little. Be very careful. Could have gotten brittle with age
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Cuttyhunker

Thanks guys, it is counter clockwise like the Squidder but the locking screw doesn't stay attached to the head plate which surprised me, would just be too easy to lose it trying to change spools at night on the beach. I'm sure that was pointed out to Otto and changed for the Squidder/Surfmaster series. A little CLP around the seam for a few hours got things to budge and open up.  She was dry inside, lubed up now and spins smooth as silk. Cool old reel
Doomed from childhood