Octopus head pattern

Started by gstours, November 16, 2018, 03:11:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Cool. Nice Gary. Those jigs are effective & expensive, if store-bought. Wanna see more as you perfect them...
Thanks for the web-site Cor. I never knew that that kinda variety existed for what I call doll eyes. I have only bout 3 choices, if go to our local craft section of Ace Hardware.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

gstours

Thanks for the input,  :)   I,m gointo better estimate the weights of thjese before making more.  I like the doll eyes as that woild be fast and all realism,  Butt if you ever look at an octi they dont hang around nor hold still!!!! :-\   The eyes will add realism for sure,  Thats what I want, not just another lead head from the store....
  As a color I do agree about the contrast Idea.   Where we fish up north generally the deep water is 150-250 feet and the bigger leads will get down and its darker there of coarse.... I use glow paint as will as glow squids its my best offer for a bet.  Them my buddy gets a good hookup and a big fish on a lead colored leadhead 2 pound jighead with a big flap of bait onit???  Thats what makes fishing fun.
  I wont be able to cast any lead till the first of the year as i,m not home.   Butt i,ll be ready for next year.... :-*

gstours

OK now?   Julometer stated scavinged lead wood be about 10cc per gram.  help me with the math?  ive got access to a digital kitchen scale at best,right now.....   lets estimate ounces of water displaced into eventual estimated ounces of lead the octi head wood be!!!!
  Thankks for the nice day too!! :)

Dominick

Gary, according to Jurolmeter you would need 453.5 grams of lead to equal 16 oz.  So the water displacement would be approximately 41 cc.  Just Google grams to ounces and you will get an automatic link to plug in numbers.  There are about 29 grams of lead to the ounce.  I think I got it right.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bill B

Keep us posted Gary.  Another way to estimate the lead would be to submerge your pattern in water, measure the displacement. Remove the pattern, then add lead weights until you reach the patterns displacement.  Crude, butt will get you close.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

gstours

👍 ok great.  Today my daughter bought me/us/me a gram scale.  Thanks for the advice and math tutoring.  I knew I should've stayed in school!🤷‍♂️   I remember when fishing was uncomplicated 🐙🚣🎣

gstours

Every body has been very helpful,  I,m trying to help others too.  Here's some more pictures of more work in progress.
  Every thing in life starts quite simple.

gstours

At almost no cost.  You can be creative.

gstours

Now gotta wait for tomorrow.   Turkey 🦃 day.

gstours

Thanks again for everyone sharing information in this dumb idea.   Just to catch a fish 🐠

Cor

Looking at your photo with the two "prototypes" next to each other, the one with the black head and red tail already looks like an Octopus!    This is an important observation as it makes it obvious what the right colour for the lure is and perhaps for the area around the eyes and tail!

I was going to comment and say yeah 30 gr = 1 oz but it is not quite that simple as we need to be accurate with such matters when making something as important a lure!  Not a Dumb idea.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ounce ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cornelis

Benni3

Nice work,,,,and the cat keeping a eye on you ;D

gstours

Ok, now I,m making some more progress.  With your help the patterns shown should be about 19 oz.

Benni3

Gobi King

Gary, I like the end product,  the head looks a bit scary   :o, 19 oz, are going to jig that? or just drop to the bottom?

How easy is to replace a skirt? just pop one back on ?
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan