Octopus head pattern

Started by gstours, November 16, 2018, 03:11:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Hey Dommie,  this is the pattern, and the first mold is sortof complete. :)  I cant do lead pouring yet.  So i,m roughing out molds from the patterns as I wait.   Thanks.   I will show pictures asap. 

Steve-O

Good looking Octo designs and test molds, Gary.

Looking forward to seeing what your dredge up from your hot spots in the Icy Straits.

gstours

Thanks Steevo dude,  im learning a lot about molding and of course my molding and patterns are crude butt the rocks don't care.    I,m not at home right now staying with my daughter in Oregon for the holidays.  I can't pour lead till the first of the year.  So I,m playing with different ideas.
    And here's what makes this Alan's forum so great.   Mr Dave (Jurelometer) recently contacted me and offered his time and sharing of his silicone molding advice and experience.  I happened to be coming down to San Jose for the tenth anniversary crab rockfish trip with a bunch of other forum buddies.  So I got my friend Wayne ( el pesky Door) so we arranged a visit with Dave,  and had a very good friendly tour of his recent hobby projects.   Dave showed his 3 D printer and showed us some Cad stuff for operating the printer.   Waay cool stuff.  As well as showing some jig patterns,  both knife, flutter, and octopus styles.  Next he give me a pattern he made from the printer.  Then he hands me a 12 oz silicone mold with the many dowel pins shown below.   

gstours

Then Dave shows us a wire bending jig he makes with the 3 d printer.   I,m blown away when he said he made it for me.  We talk about the different silicones and each problem I might have. 
   Then he powder coated a octopus jig he made.  Sorry about the lack of lots of pictures,   But I,ll add to this soon.  Wayne might be able to help us here.   

gstours

The powder coating I can do eventually as it's not that hard to do.   The 3D printer is way over my head for now.   

gstours

Compressed air and a thransformer,  and an oven at 400f.

gstours

Of course not the one in the kitchen.  Powder coat transformer shown below.

gstours

Thanks Dave again for sharing your thoughts and shop tools with us,   Shown here is the printer.   Waay cool stuff here.   I cannot wait to make molds , pour lead, and drop a jig in the saltwater.   You can be sure I'll send pictures.  Thanks to mr Dave.👍

Steve-O

Very Cool, Gary!

My neighbor just bought a 3D printer...not my cuppa joe.....but a neat "toy".

He just might get some special requests for a jig pattern from me that I can use to make a mold from.

I've had very good luck with the Durham's Rock hard putty making molds.

I also got a very good deal on a bucket of lead from a salvage yard - 143# for 2-3 cents a pound. Enough to last me the next 20 years.

This past September I used some of my jigs and Green was killer color. Every fish in the sea wanted some of it. Striped jigs worked well, too.

Mine are all the Slow Fall style and are very effective catchers.

Good karma came your way on your visits.  Thanks for sharing the jig crafting with us.

jurelometer

Turns out that this Gary fella knows a thing or two about fishing ;D  Wayne is no slouch either.   And nice folks too!  Had a great time boring them with tech jargon, screwball theories on fish vision, and fishing stories.

Steve:   Most folks with 3D printers get the 3D object files from libraries on the web.   There are a lot less folks out there that actually design what they print, and fewer still that can construct the organic shapes that we use for lures.   So the printing part is not the main thing, it is the CAD skills and software that you need to find. 

In order to turn out something decent, I need all the technical advantages that I can get.  It takes a whole 'nother set of skills to McGiver out a nice lure or even a reel part from a bic lighter, some aluminum foil and a bit of duct tape.  Don't know how you guys do it.

At some point, I can start a separate thread on using CAD/CAM/3D printing for lure making if folks are interested.

Looking forward to Gary's next installment!

-J

Dominick

Quote from: jurelometer on December 11, 2018, 09:49:11 PM

At some point, I can start a separate thread on using CAD/CAM/3D printing for lure making if folks are interested.

Looking forward to Gary's next installment!

-J

Absolutely start another thread.  We are all interested in fishy stuff.  Technical stuff, mechanical stuff and just stuff.  All your posts are fascinating to us.   Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Steve-O

Plus 1 to what Dominick said.

I would be interested in your "Fish Vision Theories" as well.

I know at 300' ...it's dark ....but I have a feeling the fish are seeing just fine.

So give us the "Area 51" good stuff on all things ocular and fishes.

My self cast Slow Fall lures I fished in Alaska last fall were very effective fish catchers....but then again so was the stainless steel table knife lure....and the matching pattern fork lure...and the Antonio Quartz Watch with an 8/0 circle hook attached to it.

Green prismatic foil under a clear coat of epoxy was the go to killer fish catching machine.....until it snagged and broke off....waahhh.  Butt...I know a guy who can make more. ;D

gstours

Ok folks;  First I must boor Dave again by again saying thanks again.   
   Like a hermit crab I,m going to stick my head out and say absolutely yes there's a place for this cad stuff to go public here in a dedicated section (maybe)?
   Some folks do better working with their heads , others with our hands.   It's all good. 
Friendly information sharing is why most of us are here.   Thanks Alan and Dave and everybody for keeping us welcome 🙏.

Cor

When you started this thread you made out like you did not know a thing about making moulds! ???

Look where this ended, wow the mould looks far more professional then any I've ever made and I've done it for a number of years now.    I did read it was a bit of a team effort......

Then you talk about powder coating and 3 D printing like its the most normal thing in the world.

Congratulations on what seems like a very successful and fun project.    The best bit is still to come when you catch your first fish on it. 8)
Cornelis

gstours

Mr. Cor sir;  I am sorry if you mistook me for the ones in this post that know the more advanced techniques.  I,m humbly here to learn, and lots of people are sharing what they want or can to help.   I think ive learned a lot and got a lot to learn.
   My thanks for all that contributed and hope this will inspire others to build something yourself.   More will follow.