Upgrading a 112 black

Started by Darin Crofton, November 18, 2018, 03:55:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darin Crofton

Quote from: thorhammer on November 18, 2018, 12:14:28 PM
Bry-Bry, never heard of aluminum spool on a 112- that's a unicorn!

Darin, recco a power handle too. The stock 24-66 on that reel is going to suck reeling in a kite.
Yes, going to put a Tani 3/0 on it probably, and I'm going to use this reel and kite rod to reel in a heavy teaser, won't be flying kites. Thanks buddy ;D
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Reel 224

When it gets to me I will clean it up and take pictures of the progress, this will be Darin's AT site gift........................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

mo65

Here's one way to get an aluminum spool and stronger stand on the black 3/0. This is a Sea Boy 190 spool and a Sliverbeach 99 stand. With six posts and a six screw stand, I have no fear of the 5-stack drag twisting anything. These are really cool old reels...just a little slow for most folks these days. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Bryan Young

Darin, recco a power handle too. The stock 24-66 on that reel is going to suck reeling in a kite.
I got a few. I believe they are 112 spools as the shafts are shorter than a 112h spool and are marked 112H
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Darin Crofton

Quote from: mo65 on November 18, 2018, 04:28:36 PM

Here's one way to get an aluminum spool and stronger stand on the black 3/0. This is a Sea Boy 190 spool and a Sliverbeach 99 stand. With six posts and a six screw stand, I have no fear of the 5-stack drag twisting anything. These are really cool old reels...just a little slow for most folks these days. 8)
Mo, I've read that thread a few times, what a cool reel you made there! I found a brand new 190 seaboy a couple months ago, but sent it to Lee, he had a project I heard about and wanted him to have it. Thanks for all the great work you do in here! Darin

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Reel 224 on November 18, 2018, 12:52:49 PM
When it gets to me I will clean it up and take pictures of the progress, this will be Darin's AT site gift........................Joe
Thanks again, Joe, excited to see what you come up with! Darin

Bryan Young

Joe,

Did you receive the spool and drag kit?

Bryan

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

joel8080

Dan

I have a steel gear set for the reel, if you want it send me Joes address and I will send it out.

joel8080
Oceanside,California

Reel 224

Brian&Darin; I received the 112 today. So far I have removed the handle side and I not going into detail but it's a good thing Bry Bry sent the new spool the other was trashed, also found that Mono got behind the spool and bent the eccentric jack, I think I can fix it. The Mono was warped in the Pinion also. I haven't inspected what damage was done if any.

Brian: I received the box in the mail the other day. I haven't had time to open it this week. I'm pretty busy with the holiday so guys bare with me and I will get to the reel Monday or Tuesday.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Bryan Young

Thank you Joe. Just wanted to make sure it got there. Mail theft will be on the rise from this point on.

Reel 224

Brian: Just so you know, my home is surrounded by security cameras and alarm system dial out. From my Gun work. If someone is foolish enough to step foot on this property..............if they don't get shot, them Police will be on there Butt. ;) ;D.........................Joe

There are signs on the entrance and signs posted so everyone can see Security and NO TRESPASS! 

conchydong

What size teasers you will be using? The smallest teaser reel that I have heard of is a 113H and that is even a little slow and under gunned. I  don't want to come across as negative just curious.
Hope it works out for you.

Scott

Reel 224

Scott: If there are upgrade gear sets for the 112 then Darin will tell me if he wants to go for it..........................Joe

Darin Crofton

Quote from: conchydong on November 25, 2018, 12:31:21 AM
What size teasers you will be using? The smallest teaser reel that I have heard of is a 113H and that is even a little slow and under gunned. I  don't want to come across as negative just curious.
Hope it works out for you.

Scott

Scott, it's a 4 blade rippin hoo teaser that will run in the prop wash, this low gear 3/0 with upgraded drag, ss sleeve and ss dog should be perfect for what I need, if not I have 8 4/0's with insert drags that pull over 50#'s of drag, but I don't think I'll need one of them. We'll find out next trolling trip, thanks  ;D