drill bits

Started by Donnyboat, November 22, 2018, 02:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RowdyW

Steve, just start the drilling with a center punch mark & then a starter hole or drill through with a smaller drill. Then the angle won't matter much.            Rudy

STRIPER LOU

I always use a center drill to start all my holes. If you go that route, the drill angle really doesn't matter much at all. As Adam commented, carbide is great!
For my applications here, its used dry. Be especially careful when breaking thru a piece as that's when carbide gets chipped or broken.

............Lou

Bill B

For what it's worth, I've been using a Drill Doctor bit sharpener.  When I break a bit it just takes a few minutes to put a new point on it, and the bit is now shorter and stiffer.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

oc1

Thank you.  I use a punch but my starter holes wander because the small bits have too much flex.
-steve

STRIPER LOU

If you use a center drill, you wont have that problem. The center drill will provide an angular start for your regular drill.

.................Lou

Reel 224

In line boring and mill drill press you start with a center drill to git the drilling process started. This is how it's done........................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

swill88

Thank y'all,

To quote the Boss, "Sharing is caring"

Steve

oc1

Yes, thank you very much.  With your help I might drill a straight hole where it is supposed to be for the first time in my life.
-steve

STRIPER LOU

The bulk set of drills that Fred O mentioned from Grizzly is on sale for $119.95. Just spotted it.

................Lou

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-170PC-Bulk-Drill-Bit-Organizer/H8182

foakes

Thanks, Lou —

That is the best value I have ever seen on that set of TiNHSS 135 degree bits.

I keep one of each size in my truck, same in the reel shop , and the metal box with replacements stored in the outside shop.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reel 224

I didn't notice weather those bits were Jobber or Screw bits. Not to be pessimistic but I question when company's offer 10 of each as throwaways replacements.

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

STRIPER LOU

Save your money!!!!

.....Lou

Three se7ens

Quote from: Dominick on November 27, 2018, 08:13:55 PM
Any opinions on this set?  Dominick
https://www.homedepot.com/p/PRO-SERIES-Titanium-Drill-Bit-Set-115-Piece-PS07535/203578697?cm_mmc=hd_email-_-B-BR2-_-20181127_RTGSMART_3237992-_-BRT_Product_Hero_CTA_1&et_rid=41384091

As Lou said, stay away.  They arent good for anything but wood and plastic.  Its not HSS, so they will easily lose their temper drilling metal, and then they wont hold an edge. 

Dominick

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on November 27, 2018, 08:17:26 PM
Save your money!!!!

.....Lou

Okay Lou how about a recommendation that won't break the bank.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.