Your favorite books

Started by biggiesmalls, November 23, 2018, 02:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggiesmalls

Does anybody have any informational books regarding fishing that they enjoy? Looking to add some to the collection.
Anything on:

• Snook/tarpon
  • General Florida inshore fishing
  • Cobia
  • Reef fishing (snapper, grouper, jacks, etc)
  • Tropical fishing (GT, other tropical reef species)
  • Trophy bluegill/panfish
  • Any other books you enjoy

Thanks for any suggestions,
Drew

Shark Hunter

I can't recommend any books Drew,
but it is good to see you. ;)
Life is Good!

Rivverrat

I second that wondered where you been... Jeff

Maxed Out

Old man and the sea

Read the book, then watch the movie.....double your pleasure that way
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

oc1

Hi Drew,

Saltwater Fishing Tackle by Harlin Major, 1935 with revisions in 1948 and 1955, Funk and Wagnalls.

Glory of the Silver King by Hart Stillwell (1902-1975), published posthumously in 2011 by Texas A&M Press.

The Book of the Tarpon by A.W. Dimock and Tosh Brown, 1911, Meabow Run Press.

Fly-Fishing for Bonefish by Chico Fernandez, 2004, Stackpole Books.

-steve

wfjord

Fishing the Flats - by Mark Sosin & Lefty Kreh, 1983, Lyons Press

Islands in the Stream - by Ernest Hemingway

jason_purdy

Vic Dunaway "Baits, Rigs, and Tackle" written by a true Floridian and Ol' Salt 👍🏼

biggiesmalls

Daron and Jeff,
Great to be back - had some things pop up between school, 30+/hrs a week working, and a few personal issues come up, didn't have any time to fish. Got out for almost 8 hours Wednesday and going with a buddy for some winter trout tomorrow - I'm baaaack :)

Steve, Ted ,and wfjord - thanks for the suggestions.

Hope everyone's well
-Drew

Aiala

The Compleat Angler, by Izaak Walton

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

philaroman

to get the most out of panfish, Piscatorial Absurdities

http://piscatorialabsurdities.com/1.html

pjstevko

Snook On A Fly    by Norm Zeigler

You can buy the book at his fly shop on Sanibel Island (Fl) and he'll sign it for you if he's in the shop...This is the bible for sight fishing big snook in south Florida!

Any of the books by Brandon Hayward.....these are California specific books

David Hall

I only read history books?

the life of Megan Boyd,  Fly Dresser.  She began dressing flies at the age of 7 continuing into her 80's and became world renowned for her work, her flies now sell for the hundreds of dollars and a recent group of flies totaling 6 flies sold at auction for over 30,000 USD, although she never charged more than two dollars for her most intricate work.  customers would visit her remote cabin in Scotland tell her what pattern they wanted and then take a seat on her porch and wait.  didn't matter if you were Prince Charles or bob the plumber, take a seat!
And most remarkable of all, she never fished.

RowdyW

Drew, you could try the Florida Sportsman line of books at Bass Pro Shops. They have soft cover books on Sportfish of the Atlantic, Baits Rigs & Tackle, & individual books on most popular game fish. There is a whole series of books to chose from. They usually run at about $16.95 each. Check through BPS on line.           Rudy

wfjord

Quote from: jason_purdy on November 23, 2018, 02:22:22 PM
Vic Dunaway "Baits, Rigs, and Tackle" written by a true Floridian and Ol' Salt 👍🏼

That was my first good book on fishing knots and rigs and a main reference for decades.

conchydong

Google the name Stu Apte and try to get some of his books. A little dated but great stuff.