Need help removing left side plate

Started by kungajim, November 24, 2018, 10:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kungajim

Hey all.  Need some help.  Working on my first conventional baitcaster, a pinnacle vision.  I've completely disassembled the right (handle side) of the reel without an issue, removed the spool and the screws on the inside of the left side plate.  I was assuming it would pop off after that.  Any trick to getting the left plate off?

Thx

Jim
so many baits....so little time

foakes

You might post a pic showing the Pinnacle and which model it is, Jim...

But typically, on many of these small baitcasters with graphite frames? — after you remove any visible screws on the inside & exterior — the palm side (left side) plate will rotate about 1/8 of a turn counter-clockwise to come off from the locking feature.

Some expensive, medium priced, and low priced baitcasters have this feature.  Be careful, since the amount of plastics on these will leave mistakes vulnerable to permanent damage.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

not sure if this is your reel, but it was what i found first.  i think you have to pull the right side plate and spool first.  then take a look inside and you should see screws holding the left side plate on.  not sure it needs to be removed, though.  pulling the spool should give you access to the left spool bearing.  please let us know how this works out.   post photos and the exact model number with links to schematics if you can find them.  thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

kungajim

Thx Alan. That is the exact reel.  I have everything pulled, including those screws and the bearing.  I just really want to pull it apart fully to give it a good cleaning, as it has not been done in a while from the looks of things. 

I'll try and post some pics.

alantani

some of the daiwa reels actually unscrew......   :-\

kungajim

Some pics

alantani

ah, the lower picture.  see those two screws in the center?  that's it!

kungajim

Yes Alan.  That's what I thought.  I pulled them out, thinking the left side would just pop off.  But its solid.  Pulled the bearing thinking there was something else behind it but no.  Theres nothing else to take off.  Could it just be crusted in there and i need to give it some encouragement?

alantani

yeah, it probably needs an extra nudge.  try backing out the screws one complete revolution each, then tap them and see if the left side plate loosens up. 

kungajim

Thx.  I'll give it a shot and let you know how it goes.  Thx again.

kungajim

Thank you Alan!!!! Couple taps and it popped right out.  Thank you sir.

alantani

Bill B

I believe there is another screw under the bearing.  Pull the retaining clip and remove the bearing.  The screw should be under it.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

kungajim

I thought that was it, so I went and did that.  No screw.  Tried to tap on the bottom of that space hoping it would knock it out.  Come to find out, the space where the bearingsits is connected to the one piece aluminum frame.  I followed Aland advice (tapping on the screws) and that worked really well.  Thx for the help guys