The Heddon 248

Started by mo65, November 25, 2018, 09:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Here's another one of those reels that nobody seems to care about. I bought this thing on eBay for 5 bucks... ...seriously! Why bother even fooling around shipping something for 5 bucks? I'd have tossed it into the trash and moved on. :D  Luckily there are sellers out there more ambitious than me. The only way I can loose on this thing is if it's locked up. It looks pretty good in the fleabay photo.

Popping off the side plates(note both sides pop off) exhibits a strong, simple design. It's hard to see through the grease but that main has a bronze like glow. The pinion is a heavy piece, not skimpy at all. I generally consider this a lighter build style as compared to my favorite, the worm gear style, but this reel is a bit bigger than the Penn 720s and Mitchell 300s that share this gearing. This reel's main is larger, with deeper teeth, and just looks a little tougher.

Could a reel be built from fewer moving parts? This is the entire drive train...bravo Heddon!

The AR dog and controls are standard Penn fare...so no worries there.

All the bits and pieces nicely prepped and cleaned.

I really like this reel's bearing retainer. It's much easier to work with than those darn clip rings that so many reels use. The bearing is huge too...like a Dam Quick bearing. These reels were made in Japan and assembled in the USA.

A closer look at the main gear reveals that bronze glow I noted is just a type of cadmium plating or something. The threaded section shows the plating undisturbed by wear...looks a lot like bronze. The magnet tells the truth though, the gear post is steel.

The face of the gear shows a lot of wear and pitting on the teeth. This part of the gear must be aluminum or something as soft. I'm not sure what type of pressure it could withstand, but it sure rotates smoothly. No clunks or vibrations...very free spinning...but not sloppy at all.

The gearbox reassembled and lubed with Penn Blue. I thought a heavier grease would compliment the worn gear well.

The drag system on this reel defies everything I've learned or been taught about drags. It has very little surface area...it has only two friction surfaces...but it has the strongest smoothest drag of any vintage spinning reel I've encountered! The two leather discs go between the spool and the keyed metal disc, and the spring washer on top. That's it! I'm still scratching my head. :-\

I guess I'll have to use this thing to see if the feel and drag live up to the abuse of fishing. If so...my $5 forgotten spinner earns a place beside the classics. 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Darin Crofton

Great job on the clean up, Mo!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

foakes

Nice job, great pics, good evaluation, Mike!

I do not know why these reels do not have a better following?  Probably just lack of parts availability.

Attractive, well built, decent materials, good company.

I have never fished one — but have around 15 of them in various sizes.

Looking forward to your "water video evaluation"!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Captain64-200

That's a nice  little reel !  Good job .
Fred from Biarritz ,

Rivverrat

Quote from: mo65 on November 25, 2018, 09:59:57 PM
  ...seriously! Why bother even fooling around shipping something for 5 bucks? I'd have tossed it into the trash and moved on. :D    

No you would'nt  ;D

mo65

Quote from: Rivverrat on November 25, 2018, 11:39:28 PM
Quote from: mo65 on November 25, 2018, 09:59:57 PM
    ...seriously! Why bother even fooling around shipping something for 5 bucks? I'd have tossed it into the trash and moved on. :D         
No you would'nt  ;D

You got me there Jeff. I've even been known to pull a junker out of the trash. 8)

STRIPER LOU

Looks as good as new Mike! Nice job and great breakdown.

..............Lou

happyhooker

Good looking reel.  The two-tone green is very '50s-60s-ish (I like it).  Got a 222 that's similar, but the drag is missing the spring washer & I haven't got around to finishing a replacement.

Frank

Rivverrat

Mike, are you sure the drags friction washers are leather ?

Midway Tommy

Nice purchase, Mike. Those green Heddons are from the mid-late '60s and seem to have weathered a lot of years of uses & abuses. Most parts were made by Olympic in Japan & assembled, at least partially, in the USA. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

Quote from: Rivverrat on November 26, 2018, 04:15:30 AM
Mike, are you sure the drags friction washers are leather ?

I'm pretty sure they are leather Jeff. I know the coloring makes them look like asbestos brake lining material. I thought they were asbestos until I pulled one and it was soft. If you click on the photo it will take you to Flickr where you can zoom on the picture and see the detail of the material very well. It's a usable zoom...doesn't get all fuzzy and worthless.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. This project has been a learning experience, and I never figured an old Heddon for a learning experience. 8)

festus

Great deal and nice fix-up, Mo.  I haven't ordered any reels lately, got all the D-A-M Quicks, Penn conventionals, and Shakespeare spinners I'll ever need.  Maybe Heddon should be my next target.  They're pretty reels and although most are made in Japan, they're definitely collectible.

mo65

I was testing the drag power on this reel today and was pleased to find it was as I suspected, above average for this class of reel. It made 10 pounds finger tightened, and slipped very smooth at any power setting. I never expected more than 5 pounds as I took the spool apart. The size and number of washers just didn't scream "performance". I guess it just goes to show you...don't judge the book by the cover. 8)

moondog371

I just recently fell in love with these reels myself! I got a few for less then $10 . they are great reels ! and lots of fun to fix up ! I agree ..... thanks for posting!

happyhooker

What do you think that main gear is made of?  I've seen the reddish/orange color on some of the Heddon main gears, and, not being a metallurgist, I'm puzzling over it.  I've heard of something called "red brass"; anybody know anything about it?  Or, are these gears some type of alloy with a plating to maybe make it look better than it is?

Frank