The Heddon 248

Started by mo65, November 25, 2018, 09:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat

Great job Mike thanks for the pics, what a steal, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

mo65

Quote from: happyhooker on April 19, 2019, 01:10:20 AM
What do you think that main gear is made of?  I've seen the reddish/orange color on some of the Heddon main gears, and, not being a metallurgist, I'm puzzling over it.  I've heard of something called "red brass"; anybody know anything about it?  Or, are these gears some type of alloy with a plating to maybe make it look better than it is?

Frank

It's definitely a plating, you can see where it's worn off in the close up pic of the gear. Although the gear appears to be an alloy...it's not cast...it looks to be cut. The gear post is steel. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

Hey Mike, what's this red braided line?  Sure makes a Heddon look sharp.

BTW, the 248 is a much better built reel than the 238 I got in the mail this morning.

mo65

Quote from: festus on April 22, 2019, 11:06:40 PM
Hey Mike, what's this red braided line?  Sure makes a Heddon look sharp.

BTW, the 248 is a much better built reel than the 238 I got in the mail this morning.

That's the first thing I noticed when researching schematics of these Heddons...build style varies greatly within the series. I was going to give you the eBay link to that line...but the dealer is out of red. Just search Kast King braid, and Hercules too, you'll see a gazillion dealers. Be sure to get the 8 strand...it blows the four strand away at only a few cents more per foot. 8)

festus

Mo, you'd like the 233, it's a miniature 248. 

BTW, I ordered a 248, it should be here Thursday.

mo65

Wow Chester! That's a great 248...boxed and all...nice score!

Rivverrat

Quote from: mo65 on June 10, 2019, 10:58:12 PM
   Wow Chester! That's a great 248...boxed and all...nice score!

Yes it really is !! Its a classy looking reel in a working man sort of way.... to my eye at least. But I only got one good one... Jeff

thorhammer

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: mo65 on December 02, 2018, 06:01:52 AM
   I was testing the drag power on this reel today and was pleased to find it was as I suspected, above average for this class of reel. It made 10 pounds finger tightened, and slipped very smooth at any power setting. I never expected more than 5 pounds as I took the spool apart. The size and number of washers just didn't scream "performance". I guess it just goes to show you...don't judge the book by the cover. 8)
I have been told before that leather drag washers have a lot of stopping power. Sounds like you are confirming that here!

mo65

Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on June 12, 2019, 04:08:05 AM
I have been told before that leather drag washers have a lot of stopping power. Sounds like you are confirming that here!

In this reel's case yes, the leather drags work great, but in most cases they tend to be "jerky" at high settings. I'm learning the key is that the leathers have to be fresh, not burnt smooth and black, to the point they appear to be plastic. Also oiling them is a must...greasing leather drags hasn't worked out for me. 8)

foakes

From Mike —

Also oiling them is a must...greasing leather drags hasn't worked out for me.

—————————————————-

It's the same as a ball player working oil into his glove — makes everything last longer, work better, plus it is smoother, with no glazing or hardening.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: foakes on June 12, 2019, 05:39:21 AM
It's the same as a ball player working oil into his glove — makes everything last longer, work better, plus it is smoother, with no glazing or hardening.

That's correct Fred. I forgot to mention that most folks say neatsfoot oil is the preferred oil for leather drags. Also boot oil and mink oil are good.

festus

My Heddon 248 arrived this afternoon.  It was mint.  Looks like someone may have spooled line onto it, but never fished it.  The box had that smell of an old mom and pop hardware store with the hardwood floors from the 1960s.  It was just a little stiff, but felt better than some newly rebuilt Heddons.

Looking inside, it definitely needed some new grease.  Same old brown grease that appears in Mo's reel at the beginning of the thread.

After a little wiping, I found a threaded pin underneath all that grease that needed removed to get the axle out.

No need to service the bail assembly or anti-reverse assembly.  Any of the parts other than the side plates and housing that needed cleaning got a dip and shake in a small jar of lacquer thinner. 

The housing and side plates only needed a good wipedown with Q-Tips and paper towel.  After the wipedown, they got a squirt of Reel Kleen  reel cleaner and a second wipedown.

Mo, my 248 had felt washers instead of leather.

I thought this was a good buy for 12 bucks plus shipping.  The side plate appears dented in the picture, nope, it's just a reflection from the shiny tag.  This reel is bigger than a Mitchell 300, Shakespeare 2062, or D-A-M Quick 220. Didn't do a side-to-side comparison, but imagine it's about the size of a D-A-M Quick 330. 

Midway Tommy

Nice acquisition, Chester. Too nice to fish!  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Rivverrat

Quote from: Midway Tommy on June 13, 2019, 04:09:52 AM
Nice acquisition, Chester. Too nice to fish!  ;D

I hate to say this.... I agree, I wouldnt fish it. I'd probably put it in my favored drawer & pull it out every now & then.

Something about this reel is pleasing to me... Jeff