Dam Quick 4001

Started by Gobi King, November 26, 2018, 06:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

After reading Fred's post on the DAM quick reels and then Alan Hawk's review of the same, I had to get one, well one to start with  :D.

I found a 4001 on ebay, it came from my brother from another mother in Deutschland. I think it came to 92$ total with shipping, probably overpaid for it.

I took a quick look at it and the drag material on the top of the spool did not look right. More pics later.

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

foakes

Having bought and sold many things in my life — the best advice that I have lived by is:

"You can't pay too much for an excellent reel — or too little for a rough one"...

"The excellent one will always go up in value — the rough one stays where it is..."

That is an excellent, quality reel that shows almost no wear.

Reels were made to be used — not stared at...

Good Value!

Best Always,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

I'll tell ya...I'd have no problem paying $92 for that jewel when they pay $100 every day for a Mitchell 308. Great reel, hopefully the drags are correct, enjoy that gem! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gobi King

I agree, the reel looks like it has not been used much, I took off the spool and I did not find a the asbestos drag material, instead there was a piece of clear plastic drag material  ???

I tested the spool drag by hand without any line and I think with the clear plastic drag washers it was adequate drag. I took a peek at Alan Hawks review again and the 5001 has different drag material,

Yes Sir, I plan to use it, I will load it with mono, I am thinking 12# sufix to float some salmon spawn bags for steelhead. I will go downstairs and grab the reel and post some pics of the drag washers.

I am excited, can't wait to open it up, relube it and go fish with it.

I found couple of additional DAMs locally, I am meeting the gentlemen later tonight
Fichigan

mo65

Quote from: Gobi King on November 29, 2018, 03:54:50 PM
I took off the spool and I did not find the asbestos drag material, instead there was a piece of clear plastic drag material  ???

That same material is used in my Quick Microlite, I believe it is a Teflon type material. It is smooth as butter, probably too soft for a high power conventional, but perfect for medium and small spinners. I think Fred said it was offered as an alternative material by Quick.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rivverrat

I just seen this post

Have you fished this reel much yet ?

I will repeat what has already been said, while there are more refined spinning reels out now days none of equal size that will out fish the 1000 & 0001 series of DAM Quick reels.
You cannot buy a reel made today of equal quality for what you paid for this one.

I am big fan of the asbestos drag washers found in some of these older Quick reels. This material in my opinion makes for much better drag washers than anything used today.

Your 4001 if the line capacity is suitable for your use will easily fish 50 line with the asbestos washers... Jeff

Gobi King

Jeff,
Nope, been sidelined with life distractions, I held the reel few weeks back, I will load it some 20lb line for casting on salmon stream,

I can't bring myself to use it in salt water, it is too nice. So fresh water it is, but reel is bit too heavy for my joints. But I have my heart set on landing a salmon with it on the river.
Fichigan

basto

This is my favourite series of spin reels on the planet. I found it interesting that Alan Hawk recommended that if you were going to use the reel that he named number one offshore spinner, Okuma Makaira, at high drag settings, that the backup anti reverse should be disconnected for fear of damaging the main gear.
This DAM ..01 series reels do not have or need a backup anti reverse.
I don't think you paid too much for your 4001. Its a great reel.
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Rivverrat

Greg, with all do respect, I either misunderstood your post or may be wrong here.

But I dont believe its possible to damage the drive gear on 0001 models specifically because of how the robust, simple but bullet proof anti reverse is designed on these reels.

There is no way for the drive gear to rotate with antireverse engaged on these reels.
Now on the earlier versions the Finessa the later 330 also the 270 it is just the spring loaded pin that engages the drive gear allowing for a little rotational play.... Which I guess could lead to a damaged gear with extreme force applied.
We are talking of a force the level of which these reels should never see under any fishing scenario. Something  that would take a white knuckle death grip.

If all I have said is misplaced or misdirected I will take no offense at your correction. By all means please... Jeff

basto

Hi Jeff
My apologies mate. I have edited the post, so if you read it again it should make sense.
Greg

Gobi King

Good info gentlemen, I had no idea the anti-reverse is "gooder" on these.

I found this guy (Quick 2002) few weeks back and I like it but this one, 2002 is also a little on the heavy side.

Do the 2002s have the same internals as the 2001s?

I am going to clean and lube both and load some line on them soon.
Fichigan

basto

Quote from: Gobi King on June 15, 2019, 02:39:10 PM
Good info gentlemen, I had no idea the anti-reverse is "gooder" on these.

I found this guy (Quick 2002) few weeks back and I like it but this one, 2002 is also a little on the heavy side.

Do the 2002s have the same internals as the 2001s?

I am going to clean and lube both and load some line on them soon.

The internals are the same.  The only things that differ from the 2001 is the spool material and drag material.
Sal has an excellent post on the 2002. It will show you everything.

Greg

Gobi King

Greg,
I found the thread, very detailed info, it is going to help me.

Taking the children and grandma out today for some pan fishing.
Fichigan