Is this a 150yd Frankenhawk?

Started by 1badf350, November 26, 2018, 10:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350

I know something is wrong here. Is the handle correct and missing scalloped nut or is the handle incorrect altogether?
I also cant figure out the year. 1941-42?
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

mo65

I believe the handle is correct...the screw is just wrong. They say at that time the Sea Hawk came with either locking or non-locking type handles. Nice find. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

1badf350

Thanks Mo. I think the stand has been filed down
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Swami805

By no means an expert but to me the handle looks to big for that reel, also wouldn't it be hollow bell shaped? That handle looks like it would go on a small senator or long beach. Just a stab in the dark.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Deepennz

Hi Chris,
To me it looks like a '38 Sea hawk 42, although it is hard to get a good perspective re the handle. I do not think the reel seat has been filed - that is correct for those smaller reels. The '41 seahawk has the different, more modern seahawk logo and a 'kiss clicker

Cheers
Martin

mo65

Even if it's a '38 it still takes the same handle. Here's a pic of the '38-'42 type Sea Hawks from Mike's book.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Penn Chronology

The stand is correct. They look filed; but, that is the way the 150 yard Sea Hawk stand is shaped. The handle also seem correct except for the handle screw. It should have the scalloped screw with the locking nut. That is really the last of the pre-war Sea Hawks.