Double dogged Long Beach 259

Started by Petah, November 22, 2018, 08:48:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petah

Well I bought this reel because it had a Powerhouse transmission on it for $75.00
Put the transmission on a Baymaster 180 to use for Calicos.
Should have taken a before picture because the reel was in pretty bad shape, corrosion everywhere.
After I tore it down and soaked it in ZEP industrial cleaner for a few days it didn't look quite so bad. Chrome is spotty here and there but not too bad. Sooo, I decided to put two dogs on the bridge because I like just dropping the bridge in without messing around with the dog and the flat spring. Replaced  the 98-60 sleeve with a S.S. 98-155 to give me more room for the dogs. It has a stainless main gear. Put Byran's 5+1 drag stack and left everything else stock. Pretty cool reel for some bottom fishing or maybe some school size tuna or Albacore!!!!!???????!!!!!!!

mhc

Good job cleaning up the reel Peter, and nice work with the dogs, the locations look to be spot on. Not sure if I've mentioned it but I'm a big fan of dogs on the bridge as well, those flat springs can be annoying.  :D
I'm curious about the gear set that's in it though - it looks like the pinion has 10 teeth and the main doesn't look like a 5-60 that the long beach 259 uses either? Any chance you could check the gear ratio by counting the spool revolutions to one handle revolution?

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Petah

Mike,
       The gear set you see in the background is from my "stolen" Magnum Jigmaster!!!!! I took it back apart because the spool wasn't centered. I followed the other Mike's (PacRat) lead and got a four flute end mill bit and used a drill press to deepen the bearing pocket! Works pretty damn good. Waiting for bearing shims from McMaster-Carr. The 259 has the correct gears and spins 3 to 1. Sorry for the confusion!!! Yeah, those flat springs piss me off!!! Some have said that the dogs on the bridge aren't as strong as the bridgeplate screw method so I'm gonna mount the reel on a broom stick and hang a shitload of weight from it to see what happens. I'll post some pics later!!! Have you used the pins yet????

Peter

mhc

My mistake - I should have realised the long beach was assembled.  ::)  Keep us informed if you do a stress test on the dogs, it's always good to see how these modifications perform. I did a couple bench tests a while ago on 349 and jigmaster dog posts I had installed on the bridges - I haven't used the pins yet but will give them a test when I do.

Mike  
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Gfish

Cool. Great idea with the 98-155 bridge for more room.
The 259 is like a low geared Jig-senator, with the 2 plate rings on each side.
Thanks to Sal's post on the reel, I's able to get 3.5:1 from a 13-500 pinion(Jigmaster size) and with an ugly modification, I fit a 30-113H stand with 6 screws. Did the old fashioned double-dog thing, and yeah it makes me think twice bout disassemblin it for drag modifications or whatever. Don't have the skills or tools to do the plate drop in mod., though.
It's my go-to kayak trollin reel. Really like the tail plate picture on these guys.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!