Jigmaster Stainless Steel Gear Sleeve/Handle Screw Issue

Started by Kalbi, November 27, 2018, 08:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

My reasoning was that if he chased the threads with the first handle nut, why would the next two also have trouble?
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

mo65

Quote from: sdlehr on November 28, 2018, 10:21:26 PM
My reasoning was that if he chased the threads with the first handle nut, why would the next two also have trouble?

I'm thinking it's because the screws' brass threads are the ones being acclimated to the sleeves steel threads. This isn't so uncommon, I've had handle screws start out tight going into ss sleeves for the first time. It happens with the stars too.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

sdlehr

Quote from: mo65 on November 28, 2018, 10:57:32 PM
Quote from: sdlehr on November 28, 2018, 10:21:26 PM

I'm thinking it's because the screws' brass threads are the ones being acclimated to the sleeves steel threads. This isn't so uncommon, I've had handle screws start out tight going into ss sleeves for the first time. It happens with the stars too.
Exactly what I was thinking
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

SoCalAngler

I'm happy it worked out for you. But, for me if I had this happen and the nut had enough threads into the sleeve I would of just added a stainless washer between the nut and the handle. Prefect fix? Nope, but you would not strip either the nut threads or the ones inside the sleeve with a spacer washer/shim. Or you could of just ground the nut a few threads off the bottom.

To me is sounds like already mentioned that the threads inside of the sleeve did not go deep enough for the handle nut. And by looking at the pics it was only by a couple of threads.

Any way it does not matter you got it sorted and good for you.

Reel 224

I feel you are on the rite track with casing the thread, but with the right Tap and if that did not work and I'm only guessing at this point, but I would have chucked it in the lathe and turned the top of the gear sleeve a few 0.000 to see if that would seat to the crank surface.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Cortez_Conversions

My guess is that there isn't enough of a chamfer on the gear sleeve thread to provide a relief for the lead out on the handle nut thread.
By torquing down he nut, the OP is essentially threading the last bit of un-threaded shaft on the nut.
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Reel 224

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on November 29, 2018, 01:06:16 PM
My guess is that there isn't enough of a chamfer on the gear sleeve thread to provide a relief for the lead out on the handle nut thread.
By torquing down he nut, the OP is essentially threading the last bit of un-threaded shaft on the nut.

YES that's it! I looked again after reading your post and the chamfer is not deep enough. Great observance......................Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Cortez_Conversions

Kalbi,
Can you post a pic of the top of the gear sleeve without the handle or nut on it just like Alan did in this pic?
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Kalbi

Here's the a photo of the threads.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gfish

Is it just me, or are those threads pretty beat-up lookin?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

alantani

yeah, i was thinking the same thing.  still, it's a stainless steel gear sleeve versus a chromed brass handle nut.  the handle nut would lose every time. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Reel 224

Send the gear sleeve to me and if I don't fix it N/C........................Joe

This sogga has me dizzy. ;) ;D ;D

Reel 224

I just fitted the handle to the gear sleeve to Alan"s SS sleeve with an the old nut from 112 and it was tight but turned it dawn and it fit tight. No alterations necessary...................Joe

Kalbi

You guys know a lot more about this than me, but I also thought the threads on the gear sleeve look rough.  Maybe it's a good thing that the handle screw is made of a softer metal because it now fits. Do you guys think this will cause problems down the road or will it be okay?