My P21XN......my parts-SAl's build

Started by pjstevko, November 27, 2018, 07:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

Sal took pity on me and offered to build my P21XN for me since I've been busy with fires and my two failed attempts due to frustration. I received the reel yesterday evening and it turned out way better than I thought. Sal did have to use a few parts from his inventory and upgraded a part or two to make this reel even better....

I'd like to thank everyone who contributed parts to my first custom build and a special thank you to Sal for putting it all together for me!!!!!

Now all I need is for Alan to spool it up and I'll fish it on the big trip on Dec 8th

PJ

Dominick

wow! that is some beautiful reel.  Sal is a genius.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Fishy247

Dominick

Quote from: Dominick on November 27, 2018, 07:19:45 PM
Quote from: Fishy247 on November 27, 2018, 08:05:55 PM
Wow! She's beautiful!
Quote from: mo65 on November 27, 2018, 07:52:18 PM
She looks fantastic! 8)

Yes I particularly love the "poil" handle.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Swami805

Wow! That looks great, good to know it will see water
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Alto Mare

Quote from: pjstevko on November 27, 2018, 07:07:06 PM
Sal took pity on me and offered to build my P21XN for me since I've been busy with fires and my two failed attempts due to frustration. I received the reel yesterday evening and it turned out way better than I thought. Sal did have to use a few parts from his inventory and upgraded a part or two to make this reel even better....

I'd like to thank everyone who contributed parts to my first custom build and a special thank you to Sal for putting it all together for me!!!!!

Now all I need is for Alan to spool it up and I'll fish it on the big trip on Dec 8th

PJ

You're welcome PJ, it was my pleasure.
Im not sure you got the little wrench I made you, don't lose it, you will need it to remve the eccentric screw.

I decided to give you the 23-60 instead of the 22-99 eccentric screw. On the custom eccentric lever, Ted ( the designer) recommends using the plastic washer under that screw, this leaves only one thread and I wasn't comfortable with it.

All my reels have no plastic washer, I do not think it is needed, but I don't mind doing so on my personal reels.

I have these special socket wrench for th eccentric screws and handle screws, I do recommend them to everyone, they really come handy.

Mine were a gift from John Taylon, thanks again John.

Don't be afraid to push that reel... it can take it.

Enjoy it! 

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

swill88

Quote from: Dominick on November 27, 2018, 08:09:08 PM
Quote from: Dominick on November 27, 2018, 07:19:45 PM
Quote from: Fishy247 on November 27, 2018, 08:05:55 PM
Wow! She's beautiful!
Quote from: mo65 on November 27, 2018, 07:52:18 PM
She looks fantastic! 8)

Yes I particularly love the "poil" handle.  Dominick

...you say "poil" .,.. i say "purel"

tis beautiful!

steve

Maxed Out

Nice reel PJ. A one of a kind gem !!

Sal, .... I just checked several reels and the 99 screw holding the custom shift lever goes in 2 1/4 full turns with the nylon washer under the screw, which I believe is plenty enough threads to hold it on. I do have a thicker version of the same washer and perhaps that was sent by accident. I have the thinner washers and can send you some if you'd like

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

pjstevko

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 28, 2018, 12:41:26 AM
Quote from: pjstevko on November 27, 2018, 07:07:06 PM

PJ

You're welcome PJ, it was my pleasure.
Im not sure you got the little wrench I made you, don't lose it, you will need it to remve the eccentric screw.

I decided to give you the 23-60 instead of the 22-99 eccentric screw. On the custom eccentric lever, Ted ( the designer) recommends using the plastic washer under that screw, this leaves only one thread and I wasn't comfortable with it.

All my reels have no plastic washer, I do not think it is needed, but I don't mind doing so on my personal reels.

I have these special socket wrench for th eccentric screws and handle screws, I do recommend them to everyone, they really come handy.

Mine were a gift from John Taylon, thanks again John.

Don't be afraid to push that reel... it can take it.

Enjoy it! 

Sal

Sal I did get the wrench tool, thank you. I meant to mention that in the pm yesterday and I forgot, sorry. I love the look of the new screw on the eccentric lever, I think it really ties in with the handle....
Thanks again

Alto Mare

Quote from: Maxed Out on November 28, 2018, 01:37:27 AM
 Nice reel PJ. A one of a kind gem !!

Sal, .... I just checked several reels and the 99 screw holding the custom shift lever goes in 2 1/4 full turns with the nylon washer under the screw, which I believe is plenty enough threads to hold it on. I do have a thicker version of the same washer and perhaps that was sent by accident. I have the thinner washers and can send you some if you'd like

Ted
That might be the case Ted, I am one of the first who received these from you.
I want to mention that these are one of the best upgrade, I do not have any issues with your custom levers and as you know I have
many.
The anodized finish is pretty tough, I understand you request the nylon washer to be installed there, under the screw.
I still say with a dab of grease, it is not necessary.

I have a few reels set up that way and didn't scratch any levers as I was assembling. Once they get set in, there is no movement with the two parts.

This is just my opinion and what I do to my personal reels.  Of course if they do happen to get scatch during assembly, I could not blame you for it.

Thanks again for making these for us, I really like them.

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

pjstevko

Thanks for all the kind words about the reel! I'm super excited to throw it on my new Black Hole rod and bring in some big lings!!!!

Petah

redsetta

She's a beauty - great work mate.
Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer