Daiwa black/silver hybrid reel "700X" project

Started by Wolfram M, April 22, 2022, 04:11:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfram M

Starting a new afternoon project for the hour or so after work every day I have to be at the school. Most days, I still have work to do, but occasionally I just have to run the clock down.

I have a 99% complete 70X that has the anti-reverse lever, screw, and cam missing. Everything else is there and the reel is decently smooth, but the rotor is really out of balance. I've tried a little lead tape inside the rotor but it doesn't want to stay put, so I have pretty much stopped using the reel since it's no longer closed up and the rotor wobbles so bad.

I picked up a 100% complete 70XX the other day. It was not cheap, but I wanted one to see how it went together, and what made it a double-X reel.

Suffice to say it's not an improvement, but it's not any worse, in my opinion. The main body is almost identical, the casting has a boss inside the gear case that isn't present in the 70X, and in the area under the rotor, the casting has a tiny amount of extra aluminum at the 12:00 and 6:00 position, to allow for a pair of dome-head screws to be fitted.  The 70X has bronze bushings cast into the body, while the 70XX has no bearings at all other than the body metal. The 70X has the handle "spigots" threaded for the cover cap, and the 70XX does not have the threads cut to receive the cover cap. The material is there, but the threads have not been machined.

The main gear in the 70X is a Zamak alloy with a threaded brass tube, and the main gear in the 70XX is a one-piece Zamak alloy casting with a hexagon through-hole. The gear sizes, teeth counts and ratios are identical. Both gears fit and mesh with both pinions, in both housings.

The pinions are both Zamak alloy pinions, supported only by a single bushing and the spool shaft through the middle. (not held in double-shear like on the 1000X or larger reels)

The spools are identical and interchangeable, as are the drag stacks and drag knob assemblies.

The rotors are very close. The 70X has a permanently attached rotor with no cast-in counterweight, and the 70XX has a 10mm hex nut holding the pinion into the rotor assembly, and a cast-in counterweight. With the exception of the main rotor body and pinion, all rotor components and screws will interchange.

Both reels use the oscillating loop type actuators, not a gear-driven oscillator. All parts will interchange.

The anti-reverse system is the same in the 70X and 70XX, all parts will interchange

The main spindle shaft will interchange.

The 70XX has a shouldered bronze bushing that is retained by the two dome-head screws in the main body. This bushing is the only support and only retention for the pinion. In my reel, it has significant wear on the thrust face between the main body and the rotor, so when the rotor nut is tight, the rotor will still wobble a fair amount.

The rotor bushing is made in a manner that it will not directly interchange with a 7mmx14mmx3.5mm ball bearing, like some of the other silver series reels, without machining the pinion or housing in some way.

Out of the gate, I want to convert the 70XX to a three-bearing reel. This won't be too difficult, but at the same time, I want to explore options to get a brass pinion gear in there.

Does anyone have a 70X or 70XX and also one of the 500C, 700C or, 1000X, or 1000C reels, to compare pinions? As long as the gear teeth mesh properly and are the same diameter, all the rest can be managed.

philaroman

should have asked prior to overpriced 70XX
should have gotten MiniMite/GS-0/GS-00
already has brass pinion + 3 BB's & better made all around
would expect many 70X parts fit as spares
[educated conjecture...  double-check w/ a serious Daiwa guy]

Wolfram M

Shoulda, yep. But, I didn't. For the same money I paid, I coulda bought a new in box GS-1 this week.

I probably will just make a new, better fitting bushing for the pinion and put it all back together. I can tell the thing has been fished hard and well cared for, and the main bearing areas look and fit great still-it's just the bronze bushing has a wear groove in it from grit between the rotor and bronze, so the rotor has too much end play.

Most of the 70X parts will go in, but the parts interchange as an assembly only-it's like Daiwa handed an engineer a set of 70X prints with no callouts, only dimensions, and said go build this.