The Daiwa 1300X

Started by mo65, March 27, 2020, 03:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Roberts

I love those pike(s) too. Back when I had them nearby, I loved to fish for small stream pike, and pickeral, on light tackle. If you let them keep their fins dug in, Man they are fast!

Yeah, the finishes are different, I just assumed the BG's are more corrosion resistant. The only thing that seems to happen to the D finishes is the silver finish on the decorative plastic side plates, wears off. A good indicator of how often they were used.

They appear to interchange. I found the BG15 spool I tried a tad tough to get off the D1600. But it comes off by pushing hard in the release pin.

The handles interchange too. And... the D1300 handle and main gear interchange as well. Comparing the 1300 and 1600 shows the only diff is rotor and spool size. Gear packages are the same.

bushleague

Quote from: Paul Roberts on May 11, 2022, 10:19:17 PMI love those pike(s) too. Back when I had them nearby, I loved to fish for small stream pike, and pickeral, on light tackle. If you let them keep their fins dug in, Man they are fast!

Yeah, the finishes are different, I just assumed the BG's are more corrosion resistant. The only thing that seems to happen to the D finishes is the silver finish on the decorative plastic side plates, wears off. A good indicator of how often they were used.

They appear to interchange. I found the BG15 spool I tried a tad tough to get off the D1600. But it comes off by pushing hard in the release pin.

The handles interchange too. And... the D1300 handle and main gear interchange as well. Comparing the 1300 and 1600 shows the only diff is rotor and spool size. Gear packages are the same.

I was just cleaning my BG today... one thing you notice is that the screws will not stick to a magnetic screwdriver, unlike all my other reels IIRC. they also seem to be softer, rather a PITA on both counts but probably a more corrosion resistant fastener.

And yeah... a pike from moving water can sure strip line. And once you've finaly beat the thing, then you've got to get that toothy mean, un-cooperative bugger unhooked, idealy without losing any blood LOL.

Paul Roberts

I'm actually a little disappointed that the BG has the same gear package as the D and X series. Not that I've been disappointed in the D's I've had! :) Just that, the BG's were -still are- quite a bit more expensive. The only difference, it seems, is two bearings instead of nylon bushings either side of the main gear, and cosmetics. I fished the heck out of a D1300 and never had a problem with the nylon bushings.

Wolfram M

I got a 1000X the other day, and the only problem in it was the hardened up grease and the nylon bushings had shrunk up and cracked apart. I just fitted 687 ball bearings in place of the bushings, cleaned up and replaced the grease, and it's ready to go again.

Not sure I like the different style of drag on the 1000X-the 1300X has a multi-stack drag, but the 1000X has a single, large diameter, teflon disk.

bushleague

Quote from: Paul Roberts on May 12, 2022, 05:33:02 PMI'm actually a little disappointed that the BG has the same gear package as the D and X series. Not that I've been disappointed in the D's I've had! :) Just that, the BG's were -still are- quite a bit more expensive. The only difference, it seems, is two bearings instead of nylon bushings either side of the main gear, and cosmetics. I fished the heck out of a D1300 and never had a problem with the nylon bushings.

I bought my BG new around 2008ish, at that point the Canadian dollar was strong and the shipped price was reasonable. I planned to get more as my other reels crapped out, but unfortunately by the time I needed a new reel the cost of importing another BG seemed too high, so I started playing around with old Mitchells, then got into vintage Daiwa and DAM reels. Now that they are out of production, the price of a used BG is generally far more than I would consider paying.