Mitchell 204s

Started by Ruffy, November 30, 2018, 01:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruffy

Hi AT Crew,
I've read plenty about the 300/400 series of Mitchell's, can I get an opinion on the 200 series? Just looking at a NIB 204s for no other reasons then it's dirt cheap and looks interesting; wondering about them, the good, the bad, the ugly!

Cheers,
Andrew

Midway Tommy

The 200 series was Mitchell's econo line. 204 is the UL. They're an OK reel when used as designed. They definitely will not take the stress of larger fish day in and day out like the 308 & 408 will but they're a nice little pan fish reel. Their design is the old school main & pinion gear type. The A/R dog is formed, not a solid piece and it has one drag washer between the spool and main shaft click gear. There are no washers between the spool & drag nut.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

I have never owned a 200 series, but I have a few friends who swear by theirs. As far as I can see, they are a typical Mitchell build...just minus the ball bearing on the pinion. They have a bushing. From my experience that is a good thing. A good oilite bushing is hard to beat. It's like giving you a discount for an easier to care for reel! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Ruffy

Well, the 204s arrived in the mail. This is my first foray into Mitchell/Garcia's and I've got to say I am mighty impressed with the little reel. Solid aluminium build, large main gear. The spool is plastic but in an ultralight shouldn't be a drama. I found out that it does have a top drag washer, but it is captive in the spool by what looks like a pressed in plastic insert over the top. I've tried to highlight it in the picture, but the drag disc itself looks like teflon (it also has a teflon washer under the spool). Because it is not removable I can't tell how big the washer actually is, but it has more then enough smooth drag for a reel of its size! Very crisp bail snap, all in all a great little reel.

It came full of this clear type grease, and is already very smooth so I've resisted the temptation to pull it down at this time I just got a brush and spread the big glob on the gear a little bit more liberally!

Cheers,
Andrew