150 surfmaster eccentric glitch

Started by Cuttyhunker, December 02, 2018, 04:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuttyhunker

Just finished up a 150 teardown and vinegar bath, all went back together well, BUT when I switch the eccentric lever to free spool and back the crank is a little stiff, backing the crank against the dog I hear the gear slip into place and smooth as silk.  Don't recall the reel doing this prior to the teardown.  Is this just a do over or should I be looking at a specific area?
Thanks
Bob
Doomed from childhood

Reel 224

Make sure you have all the bridge screws evenly tightened, and do not crank down on them.....................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

JRD

Quote from: Cuttyhunker on December 02, 2018, 04:26:14 PM
Just finished up a 150 teardown and vinegar bath, all went back together well, BUT when I switch the eccentric lever to free spool and back the crank is a little stiff, backing the crank against the dog I hear the gear slip into place and smooth as silk.  Don't recall the reel doing this prior to the teardown.  Is this just a do over or should I be looking at a specific area?
Thanks
Bob

I'm gonna.guess.you bent.your.dog.spring.and/ or tweekex.the eccentric.jack just a little.  Tear down and inspect

oc1

Check the position of the eccentric spring too.... just in case.
-steve

Cuttyhunker

Doomed from childhood

mo65

Another thing that causes shifting problems is the positioning of the Yoke. It's a stamped piece, and you want the jack sliding onto the "rounded" edge of the yoke, not the "sharp" edge. Just turn it over if you find it to be up side down. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

sdlehr

I just re-read Bob's description of the "problem", and I am not certain this is a problem at all. Every Penn reel of this design will do this as you lift the pinion away from the spool if it doesn't set back in place immediately. If you hold the spool in position and crank a little (just a hair) you'll hear the pinion snap back against the spool. This is normal. Now, if you turn the crank and it's stiff without the pinion dropping against the spool then we're talking about another problem.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Donnyboat

Also if you have the screws with all the thread, through the jack, instead of the screw that only has the few threads in there, you may find the jack is restricked by the thread, cheers Don, & good luck.
Don, or donnyboat

Cuttyhunker

Did the take down, paying attention to the details suggested and the old girl seems fine now.  Pretty new at the reel fix end of things, an old hand at busting them up, so thanks again for the input
Doomed from childhood

sdlehr

Quote from: Cuttyhunker on December 05, 2018, 02:52:19 PM
Did the take down, paying attention to the details suggested and the old girl seems fine now.  Pretty new at the reel fix end of things, an old hand at busting them up, so thanks again for the input
So help us all out. What is it that you changed that made the difference?
Sid Lehr

Reel 224

I think everything ??? ;) ;D.........................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Cuttyhunker

Sid, I wish I knew....just a do over
Doomed from childhood

sdlehr

Quote from: Cuttyhunker on December 05, 2018, 05:13:53 PM
Sid, I wish I knew....just a do over
Yeah, don't feel bad, it's happened to all of us.
Sid Lehr