Sturgeon fishing back in gramps day

Started by gstours, December 02, 2018, 09:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

This is a prehistoric monster that was hauled ashore and luckily a picture was taken to preserve the way it was before the dams and pollution plus many other man made causes took their toll on these giants

Reel 224

Yes it's a shame isn't it! :(....................................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

JoseCuervo

Tiddlerbasher

Gfish

Wow! They still fish for 'em on the Snake/Columbia system, especially right behind the Dams, of coarse no-where near as big. They chow down on fish(esp. Salmon & Steelhead smolts) that have passed through the turbines and are stunned by the experience.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

That's a blast from the past Gary.  Seen that photo before somewhere.  Too bad they had to kill something that old; like chopping down an old sequoia.

I wonder how long it was?  The guy is standing way behind the fish.  Maybe fifteen or sixteen feet?
-steve

Gobi King

Thanks for pic Gary, that is a "cow" Sturgeon  :o

Steve, it is probably 15 ft
per
http://www.rivermenrodandgunclub.com/sturgeon-weightage-chart.html

I wonder how old it is, 70 year old?
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

gstours

Some where I've got a nother picture of one farther down stream below bonneville dam that is claimed to been 19 feet long.  These were very old fish.  Hundreds of years old. 
I was told by a biologist that a 6 foot white sturgeon is 12-15 years old.  This was the maximum size limit for retention  in sports angling 25-30 years ago.  I doubt if they will ever come back to be a sustainable sports fishery again.     I hope I'm wrong.🎣

Gobi King

Fresh water fish that is 1500 lbs and 17 ft long, unreal.

Every year when I get my fishing lic I get the muskie and sturgeon tag too but I doubt I will ever keep one of these.
They are coming back somewhat on the St Claire's system. On west side of Michigan, I see them sitting in the grand river below the knee dams but only 1s or 2s here and there.

There is a huge grass roots attempt to get the species going again here in MI.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Christopher M Songer

The State of Ohio stocked sturgeon for Lake Erie this past spring.
Always go forward, never go straight

Dominick

I found a couple of pics on Google.  Here they are.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gfish

Kinda looks like it could be the Columbia R., close to the Bonneville area. Did they say where?
I worked for the Army Corps of Eng. at Lower Granite Dam( near Lewiston, Id.), and they's gettin 'em there. I suppose they are trapped between each Dam/lock. Not good for an anadromous species.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

whalebreath

Those pics are from the Fraser River just outside Vancouver where I live-it's 100% C&R fishery now/has been for ages.

The biggest I've caught was maybe 240#-8' long but not fat at all you never know some are fat sleek and truly anadromous others just river slugs-I can beat a 6' fish to the boat in 5 minutes using an old Seeker live bait rod and a single speed TLD 25.

Note the sleek powerful (!) river craft we use  on the Mighty Fraser.

festus

Completely different species, but Lake Sturgeon have been restocked in the Tennessee River system and the biggest I've heard caught so far on rod and reel was 40+ pounds at the steam plant.  But TWRA was called in to relocate one that was stranded in some shallow water that was 102 pounds. I've never caught one but seen a couple of 8 pounders.

conchydong