Phenix PSW760XH for 40 lb?

Started by natch!, December 16, 2018, 04:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

natch!

A friends wife asked me for help finding a good fishing rod for him for birthday/Xmas. He has a FTH30NLD2 to put on it. He doesn't have much gear so I figure some versatility is important. I'm thinking primary usage 40 lb with a capability of 50.
  Locally (SF bay area) I have found the PSW760XH, 760H & XH Hybrids and an 8' Daiwa Proteus. Of these I liked the PSW bend best.
  I haven't found a PSW760H around here and no Calstar, Seeker or UC of comparable line range.
  Is the 760XH too much rod for 40?

Jack

alantani

bryan young knows the okuma pch line the best, but i had a chance to fish with one and they're really nice.  not sure who has them, but they might be worth looking at. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

natch!

Thanks Alan, I'll check them out. Local availability is a definite plus. She wants something for under the tree. Failure is not really my fault due to the late request, but this is a wife , even if not mine, and...

Jack

MarkT

I use the psw760h for 30-40, the psw700xh for 40-50 and the phd760xh for 50. The psw760xh is a little lighter than the hybrid version so it would be better as a 40-50. I got the phd760xh because there wasn't a psw760xh at the time. I prefer the bend of the Black Diamond over that of the hybrids.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

natch!

Thanks Mark, I know you have used a lot of the Phenix stuff, so I value your opinion here. I liked the PSW760XH I handled best of what I've seen so far.

Jack