quick trip for local Sierras (spanish macks)

Started by steelfish, December 05, 2018, 01:59:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

north winds have visited us sooner than normal so, not much chance to go fishing without strong winds (on weekends) on our normal playground (Gonzaga bay, Baja), the local mountains form a cannion on gonzaga bay area that produce more winds right to the fishing are on normal weather but now with the north Santaana winds its almost impossible to find a calm weekend to go fishing and that will be for the next 7-8 weeks, but on our very front waters there was a small window with a really calm day, so we went fishing looking for the spanish macks or Sierras as we call them.

not much activity, tho
the day was as flat as a mirror, but fish were somewhere else, we just caught 2 Sierras per person, I tried casting a longcast DUO lure with the Komodo but no avail, fish were bitting trolling deepdiver lures only.
The Baja Guy

Dominick

A day of fishing...great.  2 fish per person...bonus.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

scrinch

Calm weather, sunny day, great tasting fish! What could be better?

Do you use a wire leader for Sierra? I hear they have some sharp teeth.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Benni3

Great job man,,,,looks like a very nice day on the water,,,,me and my friends always have a hard time figuring out what to throw at them ;D

Joao Tavares

We call them "serras", and here in Timor-Leste (East Timor) they are quite abundant. The sea water is now at its highest, around 87.8ºF.
Need deep trolling hard plastics to get them. Crazy deep Halcos or deep dive X-Rap.

steelfish

Quote from: scrinch on December 05, 2018, 05:19:59 AM
Calm weather, sunny day, great tasting fish! What could be better?

Do you use a wire leader for Sierra? I hear they have some sharp teeth.

normally you have to use steel leaders, from 30# to 50# the more flexible the better, those teeth are sharp as razors
if bite is really picky you have to take the Steel leader out and fish straigh mono line or braid, but the risk to lose your $25 dlls lure is really high

The Baja Guy

Hardy Boy

I was just asking the same question as Rich. I have never had luck using wire with live bait. It sucks when a sierra hits and you lose a x rap . Looks like a nice day on the water Alex and about 22 degrees Celsius warmer then here !!

Todd
Todd

steelfish

Quote from: Joao Tavares on December 05, 2018, 08:58:38 AM
We call them "serras", and here in Timor-Leste (East Timor) they are quite abundant. The sea water is now at its highest, around 87.8ºF.
Need deep trolling hard plastics to get them. Crazy deep Halcos or deep dive X-Rap.

yep, almost same deal here, from time to time you can get them casting 2oz - 3oz kroc spoons
by the way, that's a real big sierra amigo, we have 2 kinds of spanish macks, the spotted sierra mack and another one that is normally bigger and flat grey color (attaching a pic)

The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: Hardy Boy on December 05, 2018, 04:29:33 PM
I was just asking the same question as Rich. I have never had luck using wire with live bait. It sucks when a sierra hits and you lose a x rap . Looks like a nice day on the water Alex and about 22 degrees Celsius warmer then here !!

Todd

I have never used livebait for Sierras so, I cannot tell how much the Steel wire affect

I feel your pain body on the 22 degrees celsious warmer than there, but you need to feel mine when you guys are at 65*f  in summer and we are 125*f
The Baja Guy