Hook and Release Halibut

Started by gstours, December 05, 2018, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Here is a pretty nice fish we caught last summer while fishing anchored in about 160 feet of a sloping side of a bay.   It was bigger than we wanted to bring in the boat and so we let it go.   These are generally Females and should be able to breed more and produce many more offspring.  They move out into deeper water late fall migrating to the Gulf of Alaska typically and stay there for the winter.  Come late spring its said the halibuts move to shallower water for food and spawning.   Although there are resident fish that stay in one area year around,  i,m sure its a large area as they have no fences.

Dominick

Done with style and panache.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

akfish

Thanks or releasing that Mom Halibut. I've been releasing everything over about 60 pounds for several years.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

gstours

Thanks for the thanks,  I think a resident of a state may think differently than a transient.  I,m not in any way saying that money doesent talk. ???  I prefer a sustainable fishery and love to fish as anybody else, chartered or otherwise.  Ive taken my share of big fish home for friends and family.   Now I like to tag them by sawing off the leader and see if they will bite again. ;)
    Mot sure about the Panache part?