HT-100 drags with brass washers?

Started by grekim, December 06, 2018, 10:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grekim

I thought I read somewhere that HT-100's should be used with the metal washers that come with the set.   If so, is it because the original brass ones are not as strong and typically we are trying to increase the maximum drag?  Is their any harm in marrying the HT-100's to the brass, or are the Carbonex a better choice? Thanks!
Educating fish on every trip

STRIPER LOU

I believe the problem is the soft brass wont stand up to the HT100 drags. The drags themselves are more abrasive and more than likely, your not going to get the results your looking for as the brass surface wears.

Not saying that you cant get away with it but the brass will more than likely break down and load up the Ht100's.

...............Lou

Bryan Young

I haven't had any problems with brass nor did I see an appreciatively drag difference between the two metal drag washers.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: grekim on December 06, 2018, 10:05:40 PM
I thought I read somewhere that HT-100's should be used with the metal washers that come with the set.   If so, is it because the original brass ones are not as strong and typically we are trying to increase the maximum drag?  Is their any harm in marrying the HT-100's to the brass, or are the Carbonex a better choice? Thanks!
If you are talking plain brass washers, I would only use those in smaller reels and yes they would do just fine, those don't generate that much drag.
On larger reels, you would also get away with them, but the brass washers need to be chromed.

Using stainless steel washers gives you much more options, but it isn't necessarily better, on larger reels brass washers do better when things get heated up during battle...both will work!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

grekim

In this case I am working on a Penn 209 with leather and brass washers.   As careful as I try to be, half the time an old leather washer will split in two on me.   I don't mind spending the extra few bucks for a drag kit with metal washers, but I also like the idea of keeping the as many original parts as possible.  So, what exactly are the metal washers in these kits?  As for reel application, my quarry is bluefish and stripers.

STRIPER LOU

I would go with the advice of the 2 experts. They're probably correct and if there's not much usage, it will probably be OK.

I didn't have much luck with this arrangement and the brass washers along with the HT100's had shown a fair amount of wear.

I see your in CT and do a lot f Bass and Blues fishing? My boat is in the Eastern CT sound which gives me access to NY, RI, and of course CT.

What area's do you fish? I'm at it several times a week during the season and would probably do more if my body could handle it and I was closer to my boat. Striped Bass are my passion!

Regard's,  ..  Lou

grekim

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on December 07, 2018, 01:43:37 PM
I would go with the advice of the 2 experts. They're probably correct and if there's not much usage, it will probably be OK.

I didn't have much luck with this arrangement and the brass washers along with the HT100's had shown a fair amount of wear.

I see your in CT and do a lot f Bass and Blues fishing? My boat is in the Eastern CT sound which gives me access to NY, RI, and of course CT.

What area's do you fish? I'm at it several times a week during the season and would probably do more if my body could handle it and I was closer to my boat. Striped Bass are my passion!

Regard's,  ..  Lou

I fish Milford, Fairfield (mostly) and Westport from the surf since they are within easy driving distance.  If you ever need a helper on your boat, please let me know!  I am a bit obsessed myself.   

STRIPER LOU

I like to fish the mouth of the Housy in the spring and further up the river in the winter months if weather should allow.

Send me a PM sometime and have a great day.

..............Lou

mo65

If you were going to run the HT-100s dry...I could see some brass being removed. Greasing them should eliminate any fears. I've used the old plain brass washers for years without any issues. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Reel 224

I think thous washers are a Brass but an alloy, like copper-tin-zinc which is Brass. So they are softer then SS and thicker then the Stainless washers that are in the Custom 5 stack. That we all thinking is better.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

grekim

Quote from: mo65 on December 07, 2018, 04:33:59 PM
  If you were going to run the HT-100s dry...I could see some brass being removed. Greasing them should eliminate any fears. I've used the old plain brass washers for years without any issues. 8)

I have been using Cal's on all my drags.  The only upgrades have been the HT-100 with metal sets. I won't do the upgrade unless I have damaged the old ones or its going to be a reel I will really fish extensively.  So, even the leather drags have been getting the Cal's grease.  

Of topic a bit, but my Mitchell 302's and 402's are brass on brass (also with Cal's).  I just think it is interesting that metal on metal can work and hold up as well as it does.  I imagine if sand got between the drags it would cause some real wear.    I know some folks upgrade these to HT-100's too, but I have not felt the need.  Maybe after a struggle with a big fish!