Got lube?

Started by 1badf350, December 06, 2018, 10:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350

I do  ;D

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

wfjord

That's interesting. I bought a lot of tubes of penn lube over the past four decades, but never saw that before. 

1badf350

I see them listed in the catalogs but i think for the most part they sat on dealer counters.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

George6308

That is the lube for the first generation Spingfisher reels. It's a box for shops to put out for sale. Reels were packed with a smaller tube. Penn sold three types of Penn lube at the time this was offered: Spinfisher Moly, regular Penn lube, green or blue tube, and tropical Penn lube in a red tube.

oc1

Man, you can come up with some cool stuff Chris.  There can't be many of those around.

I wonder why they don't use moly lube any more?  Or maybe because it is mixed in with ingredients they just don't talk about it anymore?  It was really high-tech stuff when it first appeared.
-steve

George6308

Moly lube is available and sold for lubricanting auto brake calipers.

1badf350

-Chris

wfjord

The Penn lube I've had were in the large blue tubes and little green or white tubes that came in the reel boxes.

Are the white tubes the ones in those boxes of moly lube?

Gfish

I godda little green tube that came in a '60's Long Beach 60 box. Looks like it mighta separated, unless it's supposed to be a thick oil. Could be there's some grease in the bottom of the tube?...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

George6308

The white tubes are the only moly lubricants. From Penn.The blue and green tube lubricants are heavy oil. The tropical lube was a thinner viscosity oil. They also have a series of grease available. The original Penn Blue grease, not the same as the currant Penn blue grease.  Penn Muscle Grease, tan colored,  and the current Penn Blue grease. 

Gfish

Thanks George. Man, you got alota tackle/Penn knowledge!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

George6308

Thanks GFish.
As an add on the tips of the oil tubes fit all the oilers on the Penn reels. They advertised "one shot oiling".