Daiwa Sealine 50H and/or Shimano TLD20 Narrow Tiburon Kits?

Started by jigmaster501, December 07, 2018, 11:51:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jigmaster501

Randy,

Do you think you could talk Tiburon into making Daiwa sealine frames in narrower versions??

Say, 30h, 30sh, 50h, 300h, 400h....

These are incredible reels, very low price and widely available online.

With narrower options, many of these reels can be resurrected into lightweight narrow braid reels for more far reaching applications with parts that are known to last a lifetime.

A 30h or even a 30sh with the super narrow options like the jigmaster and squidder that you have would be a great reel. The rest in narrower versions would be great too.

I have a few reels that I would be willing to lend out for measurements if you can make this a go.

Does anyone else think this is a good idea????

Eugene

Frank

I think it's a great idea. Those reels are built like tanks as is. A narrow version would be sweet.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

MarkT

Makes a lot more sense than creating ultra narrow squidders!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

conchydong

I personally wouldn't mind seeing a narrowed (not super narrow) TLD 15 frame and spool. Sort of like a TLD 10. Going one step farther, perhaps aluminum frames for all single speed TLD lever drags.

RowdyW

X2 on aluminum frames for the TLD's. But first for the standard 20 & 25's so the full drag potential can be used without fear of breaking the frame.     Rudy

Hardy Boy

The TLD frame would be the bomb for the 15 or the 20. Count me in on those.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Darin Crofton

I would be in for a narrow 50h, 300h, 400h, 600h Daiwa's and a couple narrow TLD's would be sweet!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Vintage Offshore Tackle

I really appreciate all of the good suggestions.  I agree that the Daiwa Sealine and Shimano TLDs are great reels, but one of the reasons that I have focused on Penns and Newells is that they connect me to a happy time when I was young and everything that was good was made right here in the USA, before the imports were a factor.  I do buy and sell Shimano and Daiwa reels, and even use them on occasion, but I always feel slightly treasonous when I do, and I try to buy American whenever possible.

That said, my business depends upon providing what my customers want to buy, not necessarily what I like, so if there is enough demand to support a 35 unit order, I will gladly take a Sealine or TLD to Tiburon and see what we can do.

So let's run it up the flagpole and see who salutes!  For the sake of this study, let's assume that a narrow frame/spool/rod clamp kit for the TLD20 or Sealine 50H would sell for $130 plus shipping.  Who would be interested?  Please let me know if you would want the Daiwa, the Shimano, or if you would be interested in both (spaced six months apart).

Thanks,

Randy

RowdyW

Randy I'll take two TLD 20 frames for sure. If they will produce TLD 25 frames also, I'll take two of those too.    Rudy

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Hardy Boy

Todd

day0ne

me too. I have six or eight 15's and 3 or 4 20 single speeds. My 20 and 30 two speeds already have tib frames
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Rothmar2

I'd be interested in any TLD frame/spool combinations. Whether just making frames to suit stock spools, or a complete narrow kit. But any frame kit will have to be supplied with frame screws, as the stock frames have the coarse pitch screws for the graphite frames. So what would we go for in an aftermarket frame kit, metric or imperial spec. screws? I can see these possibly having wide international interest, so a decision would need to be made about long to availability of replacement frame screws. Japanese are generally "metricated", and that would be my preference. UN standard screws are not always easily available in parts of the world outside the USA. This definitely applies to Daiwas, as well.
I would be very interested in a 30H narrow kit. Now if only we could get 30H SS gear sleeves made.  ::)

boon

A TLD15 or TLD20/25 frame makes a fair bit of sense due to the sheer number of those reels out there in the world.

At the same time, it's a dubious economic proposition; with how much I would anticipate a frame kit to cost, and the minimal actual benefit to the reels (the smaller ones are limited by the pinion bearing, not the frame), it just doesn't add up for me. The design of the reel is somewhat dated and the major restrictions can't be fixed without basically re-engineering most of the reel. Mods to star drag reels, where you can replace the entire drag mechanism relatively easily, make a lot more sense.