Penn International 12: Bellevilles

Started by ReelFishingProblems, December 08, 2018, 03:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelFishingProblems

Good morning Ohana,

I managed a great deal on a Penn International 12.
The insides were very well taken care of, there is limited putting on the chrome, and the side plates show obvious signs of a reel that has been fished.

The schematic on MysticParts states there was damage to the schematic they had as a reference. Can anyone help with the best arrangement of the Bellevilles? Also mine had 3x ((). If anyone knows where to find a few unused ones I would be very interested.

It also looks like SmoothDrag has a drag washer that will drop right in (part number 69A).

Thanks for reading, and appreciate any help.

Nick

ReelFishingProblems

Another question on the drag washer.
The SmoothDrag drag washer is about half the thickness of the asbestos washer. Is that okay?

alantani

It's all about spacing.  Throw it together,  see if it works, rinse, repeat.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

thorhammer

I told you it would be the Boss :)

Didn't get a chance to measure the 12T bits. sleet and snow here all day....and again today...

ReelFishingProblems

Revisiting this thread...

I never found Belleville washers that were a perfect match, and to be honest, with work I didn't feel up to modifying any... that could change.

Quick question. If my issue is drag washer thickness, could I double up the drag washer and be okay?

My inclination is no, and I need to get to grinding.

Nick

alantani

you should be able to double up the drag washers and be fine.  i did that once before and it worked fine.  a friend of mine cut a metal plate to make up the difference, but that's really more than i can do here in the garage. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ReelFishingProblems

Alan,

Thank you for the reply. I will give it a try.
Your place looks good for Halloween as always.
I hope you don't get any assist on spooky lighting from fires.

Hope all is well,

Nick

Donnyboat

Hi Nick, you did ask the question, about the formation of the beveled washer, some one else, maybe able to help us on this one, I think there should be 4, () (). please correct me if I am incorrect, I worked on a international 30 earlier this week, I found only two washer & they were in the drag area, instead of being between the two front bearings, I managed to find two more, place them in the front area () (), & the reel is now working great, hope this helps, good luck & fishing cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

thorhammer

Quote from: alantani on October 29, 2019, 09:39:18 PM
you should be able to double up the drag washers and be fine.  i did that once before and it worked fine.  a friend of mine cut a metal plate to make up the difference, but that's really more than i can do here in the garage. 

Alan, when are you getting a mill :)

ReelFishingProblems

Just got another drag washer from Dawn.
Now the set up is two drag washers stacked on top of each other and 3 Bellevilles ()(
There is now plenty of drag when locked down (not measures yet) but negligible free spoil when completely backed off.
Will switch Bellevilles to (() and see what happens

Nick

ReelFishingProblems

Update

Doubled the smooth drag carbon fiber washer, Bellevilles are set up ((). Until I find some NOS Bellevilles for the Penn International 6/12/12W this will be the best setup I can get.

Haven't put this on a scale (so far haven't set up a scale, maybe the next project)

It spins a little in free spool and doesn't move by hand without line in sunset.

Should be good for inshore/nearshore. I welcome input.

Nick