Thoughts on the bait cannon?

Started by FatTuna, December 13, 2018, 05:20:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatTuna

I found this on Youtube today.

What is your opinion? Super cool, gimmick, dangerous, more hassle than it's worth?

For the shark guys, might be a good alternative to paddling baits out in the middle of the night.

oc1

Quote from: FatTuna on December 13, 2018, 05:20:23 AM
Super cool, gimmick, dangerous, more hassle than it's worth?
Yeah, all of that. 
-steve

Shark Hunter

It is $499 on their website plus $100 to ship.
I would say you could get a decent drone to do the same thing, only better.
Then you wouldn't have to freeze your bait into a torpedo.
If it is too Dangerous to Kayak, I'm fine with casted baits.
If I needed a bait cannon, I would make a home made one.
A potato gun can shoot just as far, and costs only a few dollars to make.
Too bad sharks don't like taters. ;D
Life is Good!

FatTuna

Wow, I just looked it up, some of those drones can carry some real weight. I thought they could only carry a few ounces.

Pretty soon I plan to experiment with some land based kite fishing. Never tried it before. There is a concrete embankment near a bridge I like to fish. Going to send out a live mullet.

Yeah the price is steep.

I used to make potato guns all the time as a kid. That was part of the reason I enjoyed this video, brought back some memories.

Brewcrafter

Heck, even a cheap RC boat would do a good job of "trolling" your rig out to the desired distance, dropping it, and coming back.  Only challenge might be the surf conditions depending on the particular type of shoreline you are fishing.

Crow

I'd be pretty careful about those "cannons" ! I saw one "blow up" on a Dauphin Island beach, two winters ago. Admittedly, it was a "home made" version, and may not have been as "safe" as a commercial model. It used pvc pipe as a "barrel.....lighter fluid, as fuel, and was ingnited by a small spark plug. I didn't talk to the guys, much, so I have no idea if it was "too much" fuel...."too much" use......or "too much" beer......but it really made a mess out of the pipe !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Decker

Drone has it beat for sure.  Plus you could use the drone to find the fish before you drop the bait in front of his nose.  Maybe fit it with an infrared camera for night fishing.  The possibilities are endless... LOL

Swami805

Reminds me of pumpkin chunking. How about a catapult?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

humboldtdan

I watched guys using a giant slingshot just below Bonneville dam on Columbia for launching baits for giant sturgeon.

Cor

Depending on the size of the bait you need and with some practice and decent tackle you can cast it out 130 yds, probably adequate for most type of fishing.
In New Zeeland I saw something interesting, was something like a small torpedo that swam semi submerged and pulled a line with bait out through the surf.
Heres a link, but to me it gets to close to commercial fishing.  https://www.seahorse.net.nz/
I also think a drone probably beats everything from what I've seen.
Cornelis

sdlehr

Quote from: Cor on December 13, 2018, 06:35:01 PM
Depending on the size of the bait you need and with some practice and decent tackle you can cast it out 130 yds, probably adequate for most type of fishing.
I'm afraid I can't cast a big bait for a big shark on a 7' rod with a Penn Senator 9/0 anywhere near 130 yds. Or 13 yds. Maybe 1.3 :) The drone is the way to go.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

alantani

rockfish from shore just north of cayucos is what has always intrigued me. this would be a blast! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Cor

Quote from: sdlehr on December 13, 2018, 06:47:01 PM
Quote from: Cor on December 13, 2018, 06:35:01 PM
I'm afraid I can't cast a big bait for a big shark on a 7' rod with a Penn Senator 9/0 anywhere near 130 yds. Or 13 yds. Maybe 1.3 :) The drone is the way to go.
Nor can I if its a 1/2 lb mackerel plus 6 oz sinker or whatever, but some guys can, I've seen it.    I don't fish for sharks. :o
Cornelis

oc1

It looks like the cannon used 75 pounds of compressed air.  Better than setting off an internal combustion, but you would have to drag a compressor, or at least a hand pump, around with it.  Then you'll need a good cooler to keep the bait cartridge frozen.  I don't know.  Fishing is supposed to be relaxing.
-steve

philaroman

1) if cannon fodder doesn't come back -- oh, well...
    if a Drone doesn't come back -- SOL!!!  :'(

2) wonder if terminal rigging/bait set in a gelatin mold might keep longer & work better

3) definitely want one for the riverbank...
    not for casting distance -- for jet-ski/kayak/boat deterrent!!!  :o