Counterbalanced handle options? 220

Started by Corroded, April 17, 2019, 01:15:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corroded

What aftermarket counterbalanced handle options are out there for a newell 220 size? I really like the one on the boss 270 and the progear but i was wondering if there are any specifically made for the newell 220? Is a dremel tool and file my only option to make one of these fit?

Swami805

Adam at motive fabrication made some out of titanium that are really nice, would love to get a few more. Might be big for a 220. That's the only ones I've found.
Not much filing to get some of the shimano handles to fit, I have a Trinidad's handle on one.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Corroded

Thanks! Would the width or a trinidad tn12 gold handle be too wide? I see a good one for sale i may just get if the width wouldn't create a problem when tightening the nut.

Swami805

I used one off a gold 20 that's not counter balanced. I don't know if the gear sleeve on a 12 is the same size as a 20. If it's the same that would be a good one

SoCalAngler

Corroded,

Is the stock handle arm or knob in bad shape and needs replacing? The 220's came with the perfect arm and knob IMO to fish up to 20 lb test. I fish a G220 that I replaced the plastic clicker button with one from a P series reel and upgraded the drags with carbon fiber. Other than that for me I didn't see a need for other changes. The stock arm and knob should not move during a cast even though it is not counter balanced, well for me mine does not.

I use this reel to fish plastics with lead heads, smaller lures and bait in tight to the kelp here in So Cal. This setup I may cast 30-40 times a day in certain situations and I have found the stock handle arrangement works well for the way I fish the reel.

I understand your application may be different but if the handle does not need to be replaced do to damage why are you looking to do it? Some of the smaller Penn reels that have a counter balance should work with the Newell's. Check Mystic parts, www.mysticparts.com website to see which ones will fit.

I like the smaller handles on my light Newell reels but that's just me.

These are not counter balanced but just shows you different handles will work between Newell and Penn.

Penn Monofil 27 next to a Newell 220. I did replace the Monofil handle with another from Penn but the Penn rarely gets fished compaired to the Newell.

Corroded

Thanks for the input. I agree that it doesn't cause any issues its just that im not used to the "t" style knob on the newell handle. I have bigger hands and i would prefer a ball or round type handle knob or at least something with more surface area. Is there a way too drill out the knob? I have an extra 220 aluminum handle i can experiment with.

Newell Nut

Quote from: SoCalAngler on April 17, 2019, 03:42:54 AM
Corroded,

Is the stock handle arm or knob in bad shape and needs replacing? The 220's came with the perfect arm and knob IMO to fish up to 20 lb test. I fish a G220 that I replaced the plastic clicker button with one from a P series reel and upgraded the drags with carbon fiber. Other than that for me I didn't see a need for other changes. The stock arm and knob should not move during a cast even though it is not counter balanced, well for me mine does not.

I use this reel to fish plastics with lead heads, smaller lures and bait in tight to the kelp here in So Cal. This setup I may cast 30-40 times a day in certain situations and I have found the stock handle arrangement works well for the way I fish the reel.

I understand your application may be different but if the handle does not need to be replaced do to damage why are you looking to do it? Some of the smaller Penn reels that have a counter balance should work with the Newell's. Check Mystic parts, www.mysticparts.com website to see which ones will fit.

I like the smaller handles on my light Newell reels but that's just me.

These are not counter balanced but just shows you different handles will work between Newell and Penn.

Penn Monofil 27 next to a Newell 220. I did replace the Monofil handle with another from Penn but the Penn rarely gets fished compaired to the Newell.

I am with you 100%. I love the Newell handles on those smaller reels. One of my friends has a Tiburon Newell handle on a 220 and loves it but not for me. To each his own and we are all tinkerers at heart you know.

Dwight

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Corroded on April 17, 2019, 03:48:14 PM
Thanks for the input. I agree that it doesn't cause any issues its just that im not used to the "t" style knob on the newell handle. I have bigger hands and i would prefer a ball or round type handle knob or at least something with more surface area. Is there a way too drill out the knob? I have an extra 220 aluminum handle i can experiment with.

I personally would not drill out the knob. These handles are hard to find and any major damage to one would make it worthless. If your close to a tackle shop that does a lot of repair on Penn reels take the Newell there. Most likely they will have handles from other Penn reels they can swap out. Or, give Mystic a call and I'm sure they will get you sorted out

As Newell Nut said Tiburon does make a T-bar lite that will fit the Newell's. I have the same handle on a Daiwa SLSH 20 that has a aftermarket frame. I use this reel to fish 30 lb topshots with live bait. I do like the handle arm and it is not counter balanced, but the T-Bar style grip is a little big IMO for these smaller reels. With the larger knob the handle does move during a cast but for live bait I'm not casting that often so I'll live with it.

Here is a pic of the Daiwa 20SLSH with the T-Bar lite. In the pic I do have the handle at it's longest setting for more power but you could use the shorter setting if you wanted.

Edit: Here is another pic with the Daiwa next to a Avet SX, this gives a better view of the T-Bar lite knob size compared to the reel.

Swami805

If you try the counter balanced shimano handle post the result. Thanks