Older Neptuna rig with Fenwick Blank rod tip.

Started by Penn Chronology, December 14, 2018, 08:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

One of the members here sent me a absolutely fantastic 349 custom handle made from Olive Wood. Now what do I do with such a special piece of work. I do not to simply put it on any old Penn Model 349. This handle deserved something special.

About ten years ago I came across a pair of Neptuna cradle reels. The rigs were custom made and personalized. I left the original name in place on the rod tip because these rigs were never used and made in a pair. The rod tips were Fenwick light tackle weights, (probably 20 pound class rods or ever less) and the guides were black, really skinny Aftco roller guides. Since I had two of these rigs and I especially liked them for display but only had room for one, I decided to sell one to Ray in Australia, so that is where the sister of my rig wound up. Of course Ray has passed, so that rig will continue its travels with its new owner somewhere in OZ or there abouts.

Anyways, this week I received this beautiful Olive Wood handle is the mail and decided it could only go to one place. I installed this handle onto the 349 reel that is mounted on my very vintage Neptuna rig. Most of the old complete rigs made by Neptuna were made using Lamiglass rod blanks, so you do not see too many made with Fenwick blacks. That is why I felt this was a special type rig and worthy of this great Olive Wood custom handle.

Now my old style round gimbal butt, unanodized custom Neptuna combo rig is complete and has moved in my Never-Sell pieces.

Thank you very much Sal. I will cherish that special handle forever.

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Swami805

What a beautiful set up, that olive is section is really something. Thanks for posting
Do what you can with that you have where you are

54bullseye

Beautiful rig Mike !!!  That handle really tops it off "beautiful job Sal" !!! You do get a lot of compliments and questions when you bring cradles on the party boats people look at you like you nuts !! Lol !  Great rig a keeper for sure.       John Taylor

Penn Chronology

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

Oh wow Mike, you gave that knob a good spot, it really goes nicely on that set.

I hope you get to enjoy it for many years to come.

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Penn Chronology

QuoteOh wow Mike, you gave that knob a good spot, it really goes nicely on that set.

I hope you get to enjoy it for many years to come.

Best,

Sal

I will always enjoy it. It is on a wall rack right next to my computer. Will be sitting next to it every day. Thank you very much for it.

Best to you and yours for the Holidays,

Mike C.

moondog371

very nice! they all are ..... I love the cradle reel/rods~ !

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Penn Chronology

Quotevery nice! they all are ..... I love the cradle reel/rods~ !

QuoteMike that's gorgeous, I'm jealous....Bill

Cradle reels hold a special place in history. They have been produced over a period of about 60 years and never really caught on; but, are always a point of interest.

The Penn CEO, Mr. Herbert O. Henze (son of Otto Henze) felt that the line, if it gets run down close to the spindle of the spool might even cut the fingers of a fisherman, that is why one was never produced by Penn reels. Ocean City produced them at the same time that their catalog also presented cradle reels made by Edward vom Hofe. That vom Hofe influence, in my opinion, played a big part toward the introduction of cradle reel production by Ocean City.

The classic makers all dabbled in cradle reels and three or four independent companies made cradles fitted for existing Penn reels, the most notable was Neptuna but there were others.

They are an interesting collecting diversion and I enjoy fishing with them.