Crunchy Reels - Sand

Started by Gobi King, December 18, 2018, 04:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

I bought a few DAM reels locally and I have a few okumas  (all spinning reels) that has sand inside them. I tried to wipe off the sand but the particles are everywhere.

Well, how do you get rid of the sand? take it apart and rise in alcohol bath? Wash in simple green and blow dry?
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

foakes

First, Gobi —

You are doing a lot of reels — and you obviously enjoy the hobby.

Second, it is difficult to remove ALL sand and grit in older quality reels without using an ultrasonic cleaner.  Yes, you can remove MOST of it — but it takes a lot of time, effort, the chance of ruining parts by over-scrubbing, and leaving in the solutions too long.

Third, I would think you owe it to yourself and the quality of your reel work — to invest in an US cleaner.

A decent one would run you $100 to $200.

For sure, look for SS, not plastic — highest wattages — 3 to 6 quarts — analog dial controls are best, but electronic controls will also do as well — heat is not necessary (but OK) since the US cleaner generates enough heat on its own to do an excellent job — nothing fancy, just simple and powerful.

EBay, Amazon, etc..

The only question you might ask yourself after using one to clean a reel — is why didn't I do this earlier?

A US cleaner gets into every nook and cranny that you cannot even see — to eliminate sand, crud, grease, and salt efficiently, effectively — in just a few minutes.

You are doing reel work on a professional level — your completed projects should be smooth, spotless, and function with no grit.

Bearings are a pleasure to clean and lube.  You will save enough money on not buying new bearings to pay for this machine in just a few months.

Plus, you will impress your wife by cleaning anything around the house like her jewelry, silver, filters, drain screens, anything that works better when clean.

Chemicals and cleaners are not expensive — and they can be reused many times.  My go-to cleaners are Simple Green, Purple Degreaser, HD Dawn Dish Soap, and some mineral spirits that can be flammable — but if used wisely — they are extremely effective.

Just my thoughts...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Fred's right...the US cleaner is the ticket...but in the meantime good ol' soap and water after a complete disassembly works for me. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

sdlehr

Quote from: mo65 on December 18, 2018, 06:30:15 PM
   Fred's right...the US cleaner is the ticket...but in the meantime good ol' soap and water after a complete disassembly works for me. 8)
x2 plus thoroughly rinsing each part individually under running water. Don't drop small parts down the drain, use a screen trap or run the water into a bucket. This is absolutely the best way to clean and service a reel anyway. Brass brushes on brass internals OK. That's the part an US cleaner is superior for. Put all the parts in the US cleaner and get them all squeaky clean in a few minutes while you are enjoying a cup of coffee and resting your fingers.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Gobi King

Fred,
No wifey, single dad of 2 little girls and grandma is part of the household also, but none of the girls wear any jewelry. Grandma used to wear a metal band watch but since she has been on the iphone that is gone too.

UC it is, I have been wanting one for some time now. My plan is to process shot in my M1 Garand, once I had 1000 greek ball brass I want to batch process them. So the UC will be invaluable to clean the brass.

Any thoughts the harbor fright UC cleaner?
https://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-63256.html

Wallys has one also,
https://www.walmart.com/ip/2L-Stainless-Steel-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Heater-Timer-Bracket-Jewelry-Lab-Glasses-Bullet-Gun-Home/120589983

Mo, Sid,
drinking coffee while the parts clean is my cup of tea, errr I mean coffee  ;D.
I will give it a shot with some simple green and a bucket of warm water in front of the TV.

Arrighty guys, which is it, walmart or hb UC cleaner, vote please.

Fichigan

Cuttyhunker

My grandson manages a Harbor store and tells me they reverse engineer and redesign improvements into the machines they have on the shelves.  I've had satisfactory service from their stuff.
Doomed from childhood

Reel Beaker

Quote from: foakes on December 18, 2018, 05:03:28 PM
First, Gobi —

You are doing a lot of reels — and you obviously enjoy the hobby.

Second, it is difficult to remove ALL sand and grit in older quality reels without using an ultrasonic cleaner.  Yes, you can remove MOST of it — but it takes a lot of time, effort, the chance of ruining parts by over-scrubbing, and leaving in the solutions too long.

Third, I would think you owe it to yourself and the quality of your reel work — to invest in an US cleaner.

A decent one would run you $100 to $200.

For sure, look for SS, not plastic — highest wattages — 3 to 6 quarts — analog dial controls are best, but electronic controls will also do as well — heat is not necessary (but OK) since the US cleaner generates enough heat on its own to do an excellent job — nothing fancy, just simple and powerful.

EBay, Amazon, etc..

The only question you might ask yourself after using one to clean a reel — is why didn't I do this earlier?

A US cleaner gets into every nook and cranny that you cannot even see — to eliminate sand, crud, grease, and salt efficiently, effectively — in just a few minutes.

You are doing reel work on a professional level — your completed projects should be smooth, spotless, and function with no grit.

Bearings are a pleasure to clean and lube.  You will save enough money on not buying new bearings to pay for this machine in just a few months.

Plus, you will impress your wife by cleaning anything around the house like her jewelry, silver, filters, drain screens, anything that works better when clean.

Chemicals and cleaners are not expensive — and they can be reused many times.  My go-to cleaners are Simple Green, Purple Degreaser, HD Dawn Dish Soap, and some mineral spirits that can be flammable — but if used wisely — they are extremely effective.

Just my thoughts...

Best,

Fred
you can use one of these cleaners to clean bearings?

Gobi King

I am pretty sure it will,

Fred, how long do you run reels with really dried up grease to clean them up?

I have been tied up with the girls, so all projects have been on hold,  finally they are back to school today.
I am heading out to hb tonight to get the ultrasonic cleaner from them.

Fichigan

foakes

Yes, bearings come out spotless — if the right kind of solution is used.

My go to for grease — is lacquer thinner.

Lots of folks will not agree with this because it is flammable, or they don't like the smell, or ??.

But it is spookily effective, quick, fairly inexpensive — and evaporates after use.

On really badly dried grease — I do not want to waste lacquer thinner, or get my US cleaner too dirty — so any accessible grease is scraped out ahead of a US bath.

If the part such as a plastic or painted body is involved — NEVER use LT.  Just Simple Green cut 50/50 with water — 8 minutes. 

I generally soak any small metal, aluminum, brass, copper, steel, German Silver, or SS parts in a glass jar with LT — before the US cleaner. 

If ever in doubt — just use HD Dawn dish soap, warm water, overnight soak — the the US cleaner for 8 minutes with perhaps SG.

Experiment — be cautious — expect to learn — and maybe ruin a few parts while learning.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.