A new one for me.

Started by handi2, December 18, 2018, 09:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

Penn 113H with SS gear sleeve and drag star rusted together.

I had to oil and get the star off with a plastic hammer. That's a first for me.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Benni3

Stainless steel cross metal contamination,,,,it can make it rust ?  ;D

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Shark Hunter

I have heard good things about Kroil.
They are using it at my job in the Maintenance dept.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Not related to the star, but on some Newell's I had to use hummer and chisel in the past.
This might be lock if maintenance, maybe fished on a charter and serviced only when it stopped working 😏.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

That's another reason to back off on the drag, lack of maintenance is another. It's amazing how people just think there eqiptment will go one forever without taking care of it. Some even complain when they get the bill for fixing it, go figure.

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

1badf350

Quote from: Benni3 on December 19, 2018, 03:57:35 AM
Stainless steel cross metal contamination,,,,it can make it rust ?  ;D

This is what can happen with cross metal contamination. There is a dielectric union failing to do its job on a copper to steel connection. This building was a new management assignment for my company. I found it first day thank God. The valve was seized up to so we had to drain the condenser water from the whole building and replace.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

foakes

Quote from: Reel 224 on December 19, 2018, 01:35:18 PM
It's amazing how people just think there eqiptment will go one forever without taking care of it. Some even complain when they get the bill for fixing it, go figure.

Joe 
t

That is true, Joe — however, I am thankful for the folks who do not know how to service or care for their equipment — it keeps my service/repair/restoration bench full and overflowing.  😁😁😁

I do try to school folks about how to basically keep their reels ready and lasting forever — but the majority just want to go fishing.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reel 224

Quote from: foakes on December 19, 2018, 02:55:18 PM
Quote from: Reel 224 on December 19, 2018, 01:35:18 PM
It's amazing how people just think there eqiptment will go one forever without taking care of it. Some even complain when they get the bill for fixing it, go figure.

Joe 
t

That is true, Joe — however, I am thankful for the folks who do not know how to service or care for their equipment — it keeps my service/repair/restoration bench full and overflowing.  😁😁😁

I do try to school folks about how to basically keep their reels ready and lasting forever — but the majority just want to go fishing.

Best,

Fred

Fred:  ;D ;D ;D It keeps me busy too. You can school some people, but you can't get them to listen. ;) ;D.

Merry Christmas

Joe

handi2

I do use Kroil a lot. It took some hard whacks to get it to break free. Illl replace the sleeve and get her back together. I think the reel has been sitting for a while. It is from a charter captain. One of his personal reels.

MRI yesterday showed a definitive rotor cuff tear and bad arthritis in my neck. They just keep adding up..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Benni3

Keith's a tuff man,,,I hope the doctors can fix you up  ;D

Reel 224

Keith: I wish you well and hope things are better for you this upcoming year. Keep the faith brother...............................Joe

wideopenoutdoors

Kroil works best with heat!  ;)
"your not on a fishing show, reel it in!"