Penn 49a Sale !!

Started by Maxed Out, December 18, 2018, 10:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Anyone know when the 49A first appeared? pre-1950? post?
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Maxed Out

The book only goes up to 1959.

The same author (Charles Horne) wrote a 2nd book that is a continuation of the first book. Title is "Game Fishing Transformed"

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

xjchad

Quote from: Maxed Out on December 27, 2018, 07:21:10 PM

The book only goes up to 1959.

The same author (Charles Horne) wrote a 2nd book that is a continuation of the first book. Title is "Game Fishing Transformed"

Ted

Thanks Ted!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Dominick

Quote from: sdlehr on December 27, 2018, 06:16:08 PM

Sid, check Mike's Chronological History at page 179.  According to Mike it is hard to pin down but he says "sometime in the early 1950s."  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

sdlehr

Thanks, Dominick. That's what I thought, but I'm at work and the book is at home. I'm told that there are some 49As with non-numbered parts, so that puts the release to at least as far back as 1950(~ish, maybe 49 parts didn't disappear from the bins as quickly as the other parts used for multiple reels and the non-numbered parts lasted into '51 or '52).
Sid Lehr

sdlehr

Quote from: sdlehr on December 27, 2018, 06:16:08 PM

Quote from: Dominick on December 27, 2018, 08:08:24 PM
Sid, check Mike's Chronological History at page 179.  According to Mike it is hard to pin down but he says "sometime in the early 1950s."  Dominick

Quote from: Maxed Out on December 19, 2018, 07:39:39 PM
The 49A uses a jigmaster 500 seat and posts

Then the 49A couldn't have appeared in the early 50's, as the Jigmaster didn't appear until 1958-59, and I doubt the 500A preceded the 500 (maybe that isn't right?).
Sid Lehr

sdlehr

D'oh, they started with a Squidder stand, not a Jigmaster stand - I should've gone directly to where Dominick told me to look - I didn't - I thought he meant the chapter in the green book on the Mariner reels - and it didn't have the same information.... mystery solved....
Sid Lehr

Dominick

Quote from: sdlehr on December 28, 2018, 05:49:57 PM
D'oh, they started with a Squidder stand, not a Jigmaster stand - I should've gone directly to where Dominick told me to look - I didn't - I thought he meant the chapter in the green book on the Mariner reels - and it didn't have the same information.... mystery solved....
And you thought I was just another pretty face...  ::)  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Maxed Out

The long beach 67 also has the same stand and was around before the 49a..... I just used jigmaster as a reference because more people are familiar with that reel.

Dominick, you very wise grasshopper.

Cuttyhunker

Chapter 13 in The Penn Collector's Companion and Price Guide is devoted to the South African big game from shore fishery.
Doomed from childhood

sharkman

Proud to finally own one. Thanks to Ted have one in my collection. The spool was in amazing shape.

Maxed Out

Very nice. You are now the proud owner of a piece of south African shore fishing folklore !!

The wide 49 is built like a mini 14/0 without the harness lugs. No wonder it did the job it was designed to do

Ted

Cuttyhunker

Ted,
The 49A arrived today and I am smiling, the old girl is already on the top shelf with the box next to the Bean 249! Thanks again for the 9/0 unnumbered  handle nut..Still looking for the correct handle.
Strangest thing though, it looks like the postal inspectors opened the big box up then filled the 49A box with a couple of jars of home canned salmon just like you'd catch out there on the left coast.......imagine that!!
Tight Lines,
Bob
;)
Doomed from childhood

Maxed Out

Well Bob, I don't like leaving unused space in a flat rate box..... By the way, it's albacore but you can call it anything you wish !!

Thanks to AC49 for hooking us up with reels from South Africa !!

Cuttyhunker

Albie, got it, haven't taken it for a test drive yet so the pink threw me off. Nice surprise! ;D
Doomed from childhood