Modifying Cushit Rod Holder

Started by El Pescador, December 19, 2018, 01:03:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

I've been using a Cushit Rod Holder while fishing in Cabo, and I reely like the way it works on smaller fish.  For larger fish, I prefer a fighting belt.

BUTT, while hauling in HUGE Halibut with Gary the BUTT-man and Dominick, I found out the largest Cushit Rod Holder did not perform to my standard.

When reely cranking on a big Halibut, the rod only went into the holder by 4", and it would flex between the holder and the round ball end.  Not good.

Under moderate pressure, all was AOK.

You can begin to see the flexing of the cushit holder.

Of course, Gary uses NOTHING Stock and off the shelf, NO SIR.  Here is make his own rod holder using a large tennis ball and a piece of pvc pipe.  And it worked great.

So, during Gary's long weekend visit, I put him to work.  My idea was to use a 1 1/2" wood dowel and wrap sand paper over it.  Gary's idea was to use this 1.5" hole saw.   Gary's idea worked GREAT ;)

Here is a quick measurement of the issue - Rod only goes 4" into the cushit due to the decreasing diameter inside the cushit.

So, I put Gary to work - did not take much time at all, and a little water from the spigot helped to lubricate the cutting hole saw.

VOILA and DONE :o

Now, the halibut rod had the full protection of the Cushit rod holder

So, it is time to book another trip to Gustavus, AK for a week of pulling huge halibut 240' out of the Glacier Bay National Park icy waters.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Tiddlerbasher

boon

I'd throw some PVC pipe down the middle of it for added reinforcement, as long as it didn't reduce the inside diameter to something that wasn't useful.

I have seen but never used an alternative option, made (I believe) from hard EVA, that just fits over the gimbal end of the rod, apparently they are rather good.

Dominick

One has got to protect the family jewels.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Fishy247

I used one of these a few years ago catching black drum in Delaware Bay. I really liked the way it felt. Wayne's assessment works for me, as far as using it for med sized fish vs bigguns! Much more versatile than a belt, which makes it easier to follow your fish and dodge other guys at the rail. Don't have to worry about finding the cup on your belt when you hook up or have to perform some rod acrobatics following your fish....

swill88

Quote from: Dominick on December 19, 2018, 02:31:21 AM
One has got to protect the family jewels.  Dominick

What are you talking about Dominick? 
I'm 11 years old btw.
Steve :-*

gstours

Hey folks,  quick question,  what are those old men in the pictures trying to protect?  I,m only 12 1/2 and just wondering?
     Otherwise a good tip on the modification.  I guess the Cushit folks think every rod has a tapered gimble end?   Crazy?

handi2

I have 2 of them on a shelf no one uses. Thanks for posting.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

El Pescador

Quote from: handi2 on December 25, 2018, 06:20:40 PM
I have 2 of them on a shelf no one uses...
Keith

Keith,

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

NOBODY needs a Cushit Shelf Queen!!! ;D

If you are interested in selling them,  pleases PM me with the size and your price.

TANKS!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!