Seven stack drag washers

Started by Squidh90, December 20, 2018, 11:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squidh90

I recently got a Senator 9/0 with what appears to be old asbestos drag washers, and was thinking of upgrading them to a stack with seven carbon fiber washers. My question is whether it would be okay to run that stack with an SS gear sleeve and dog and leave the factory frame, or would I have to get an aftermarket frame? Thanks for any help.

alantani

stay with the stock frame until you have a problem. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Squidh90

Alright, and how much drag will the stock gears sustain for an extended period? I was hoping to potential be able to run the reel with around 40-50 pounds of drag but wasn't sure if the gears would withstand that. Thanks for any help.

bill19803

just  out of  curiosity  what  are  you gonna  use  to hang onto the  rod   when   at   40-50  lbs of   drag.  That  much   would have me   swimming

Squidh90

Well I plan on using it for land based shark fishing so I'm just throwing it into and harness and belt.

Shark Hunter

A seven stack won't produce those numbers.
Your looking at about 30 tops and that is more than enough.
You just need the line capacity if you hook one bigger than 8 feet or so.
Life is Good!

Squidh90

Alright, thanks. So I'll upgrade the gear sleeve and dog to be SS, add the new drag stack, and let you all know how that goes.

Squidh90

Additionally, I have heard of 60-70 pounds of drag with a drag insert made by a member here, how much drag would be reasonable to get out of something like that with just the stock gears?

RowdyW

Quote from: Squidh90 on December 24, 2018, 04:34:05 AM
how much drag would be reasonable to get out of something like that with just the stock gears?
30lbs. Take a scale & tie it to a tree with your rod & reel on the other end of the line. Have a friend watch the scale & pull a steady 30 lbs. for 1/2-1 hour. I'm betting you can't hold 30#'s for a full minute. And with a big shark on the line you won't be standing in one spot. You will have to move up & down the beach while maintaining that 30 #'s. Any more drag then that and a big shark will take you swimming with him and his friends. 30#'s of max drag = 100# line 60#'s of drag = 200# line.  60-70#'s of drag with the insert is the max it was tested. It is not useable at that setting. It is not smooth until down around 40#'s. Try fishing it with just a new set of 5 CF washers & 80# mono line & then decide where you are going from there.            Rudy               

Squidh90

Alright, thank your clarifying. I'm mostly used to fishing in freshwater so I'm not used to dealing with larger reels.

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tiddlerbasher

I echo what Rudy said. I have tried various fighting belts etc. but when it gets down to you the rod/reel  in a stand up fight about 25lbs of drag is all I can take (and not for very long). A harness/chair/rail changes things. BUT be realistic with what your body can take for a period (maybe long) amount of time. But then I'm an old thing :(