Almost impossible take-apart on Surfmaster

Started by grekim, December 21, 2018, 12:08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grekim

On at least one of my Surfmaster 200's, it is so hard to get the handle side plate to turn that I am afraid I might damage something.  There is no corrosion and it has been lubed with Penn blue grease and Reel-X.  There is no operator error here, I know how to take it apart.  Do you have a remedy or way of getting more leverage?  Thank you.
Educating fish on every trip

xjchad

More leaverage might get it done, but it's not fixing the problem.
I'd clean all the mating surfaces very well and wipe them down with acetone.  Then color them with a dry erase pen.
Carefully assemble the side plate to the ring and then remove and you should be able to see where the interference is happening.
It could be that the ring or one of the pins is tweaked.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

grekim

Thanks, I will have to try that.  I guess too, if I can interchange the two parts with a working reel, I can probably narrow does if it is the ring on the handle-side plate or the notched one.

sdlehr

I forget which way it turns. Will putting the handle back on give you more leverage? I think I've done that.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

oc1

That happens to a lot of Penn quick-take-apart reels.  I wonder if the root of the problem is the bakelite side plate has swollen just enough to stretch or deform the ring.  Bakelite absorbs some water over time and swells.  If you ever get the rings loose you can file the edge of the side plate.

I also wonder if putting the reel in the freezer might help.  Bakelite has a slightly higher coefficient of thermal expansion than the metal rings.
-steve

Alto Mare

Good advice Sid, keeping the handle on will definitely help. The plate rotates towards you, at times the thumb screw gets hang up if it isn't backed all the way. Having the blade on the handle over the thumb screw will help with pulling it out and rotate the plate.

The cause could also be  some sand getting stuck there, or what Steve has mentioned.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cuttyhunker

My drill on the crusty old timers has been to get a single edged razor blade and work it in like a wedge all the way around the diameter with some CLP dripped into the freshly widened opening between the metal and bakelite and then let it sit for a day before trying to twist it open.
Good for crustiness, I also have done it to replace the side rings for an old 2/0 Senator, they came off in the end, but after a pitched battle, but the new ones won't go back on.  The swelling is only a few thousands, but just enough.  In the end I'll counterattack with my teeny tiny toy file set and take just a little off the bakelite until they go back on.
Is it possible this one's frame has been warped out of shape a little over the years? You may be able to check it with an inside caliper.
Good Luck
Bob
Doomed from childhood

Gfish

I've got the same problem on 2 quick-take apart Penns. I suspect what Steve was talkin about: bakelite swelling. Cool Chad, use acetone and a dry erase marker to see where the problem is. I've resorted to wraping the raised part of the side-plate and wrenching it off... Maybe there's a dermel bit that'll shave off some metal on the rivited ring, or, I'll ruin it..., but other than getting a new side-plate, I don't see a solution.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

grekim

After some fiddling here are some ideas:
After mixing and matching with good fitting surfmasters, the problems is as suspected, the handle side ring or plate.
As for leverage, yes having the handle on (and clutch engaged) definitely helps in getting the plate off (not on because you only have drag in that direction).
Once you have it apart, you can take the spool out, put the sideplate back on (or partially on) and see how the rings make contact without the spool being in the way.

I don't remember if the reel came apart well when I first got it a year ago, but in trying to take off the handle side ring (unsuccessfully) I may have made the problem worse by adding some slight imperfections to the ring.  Indeed, it seems that in the area I was originally prying that this has a little more space between the rings when I try to put them in contact.  Still I think the bakelite may be swollen.  I may just deligate this reel as a line transfer reel.  However, it appears that there are some stainless parts in there other than the pinion, the clutch plate and eccentric both look "silvery".  Strangley, the yoke is brass.   

Alto Mare

I just remembered on older models the plate is a little different and so is the grove that the pin glides in.
I have it posted here somewhere from 5-6 years ago, but couldn't find it.
I remember fixing my problem by trying different plates.
Of course this would not be the case if your reel has originat parts, but there is always a chance someone replaced that head plate along the way.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cuttyhunker

I remember dad marked the male and female portions of the head plate install area with a Sharpie. After a quick assemble and take apart you can spot where the binding is.
Doomed from childhood