Is the Beachmaster 160 a narrow version?

Started by Kalbi, December 22, 2018, 08:22:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalbi

Newbie question here, but what size squidder and surfmaster is the beachmaster 160 the most like.  I noticed that the tiburon 155 frame is the same for the squidder 140 and the surfmaster 200.  Will a surfmaster 100 frame and spool fit the beachmaster sideplates?   Also, i noticed that beachmasters have different reel stands as compared to surfmasters and squidders.  Are the reel stands interchangeable between these models dels?

Alto Mare

Hello Kalbi, the Beachmaster 160 & 165 fall between the narrow and standard size, these two reels share the same spooland the Surfmaster 150.
You've mentioned the Squidder a couple of times, you could compare its spool for size only, the Squidder spool will not work in the Beachmaster, the spool shaft is longer.

As long as  the spool and frame are of the same size, you could make any of the following reels narrowed- midsized and standard.

The Beachmaster- Baymaster- Monofil (25-26-27)- Surfmaster. You have many options, you could also mix tail plates if you wanted to.

I happen to have a couple of Surfmasters with Beachmaster's tail plates.

Have fun.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Kalbi

Thanks for the info. I'm still not clear about the reel stand, though. The surfmaster reel stand has holes that allow a rod clamp to be added.  Is the screw hole spacing exactly the same on the beachmaster and surfmaster side plates?  Was looking at buying a used beachmaster, but was wondering if a surfmaster reel stand would fit the beachmaster side plates.  I have an accurate frame on one of my jigmasters and it has additional screw holes.  That made me think that sideplates from different reels could have the same diameter, but different screw hole patterns.   

Alto Mare

Quote from: Kalbi on December 22, 2018, 01:07:26 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm still not clear about the reel stand, though. The surfmaster reel stand has holes that allow a rod clamp to be added.  Is the screw hole spacing exactly the same on the beachmaster and surfmaster side plates?  Was looking at buying a used beachmaster, but was wondering if a surfmaster reel stand would fit the beachmaster side plates.  I have an accurate frame on one of my jigmasters and it has additional screw holes.  That made me think that sideplates from different reels could have the same diameter, but different screw hole patterns.   
Yes, the screw hole spacing is the same on all reels mentioned above, or I wouldn't have been able to tell you that plates could be mismatched.

The Jigmaster is a larger reel, we are talking Surfmaster size reels.

As mentioned, you have many options with the reels I've mentioned, all will work as long as you chose the same width spool, stand and frame posts.
If you chose to go with a Tiburon, or Accurate kits, you won't need to worry about stand, spool and frame posts.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Swami805

It can be confusing, a good resource is Mystic parts. You can look up the stand for a particular reel and it will list all the other models it will fit. Takes a lot of the guess work out. Some reels came in a freshwater and saltwater version that came with different reel stands.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

thorhammer

One caveat: the Surfmaster 250 is Jigmaster size, with lower gearing, and many of those parts interchange with Jiggy's.

baymaster 180, Beachmaster 160, 165 and surfmaster 100, 150, 200 all may interchange stands, spools, and posts / frames provided you stay with same width through each piece. The Surfmaster would be considered the more rugged / higher end series with quick take-apart (basically a bushing'd Squidder), clamp-capable stand and many have steel main gears and larger handles.

Kalbi

Mahalo for sharing your knowledge.  It's much appreciated. 

Ron Jones

The big difference between Bay/Beachmaster and Surfmaster is the drags. The two use different main gears (that's why Sal said you could swap tail plates only.) The main gear on the Surfmaster is much larger and will give you more drag for longer.

The Baymaster can hold its own though. There's a few of us that have ruined the day of a number of yellowtail with one. Its retrive speed is slightly faster (than the Surfmaster) also.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"