After servicing your reels.

Started by Reel Beaker, December 25, 2018, 03:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel Beaker

I just finished servicing a reel yesterday, but cant help but feel there is a "sandy" sound when i turn the handle. Does anyone knows what is wrong? I am pretty sure i lubed all the parts. Or is this to be expected and the noise will go away after a few uses when the reel becomes "seasoned", after a protective layer is formed from the grease after some time?

RowdyW

It sounds like something is wrong. Either still dirty but most likely bad bearings, bad gears or both.        Rudy

nelz

Uh... maybe it's sand?

So was the sound there before servicing? What reel is it? There might have been debris in the grease you used.

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Reel Beaker

Problem solved folks!
After 2 and a half fishing trips the sandy sound is gone now.

Midway Tommy

Quite normal. Generally, whenever bearings, especially ball bearings, are thoroughly cleaned and relubed it takes a little use to get the moving parts recoated. They are usually a little noisy throughout that process. Patience and understanding what is happening is the key. Personally, I've never had to replace a ball bearing, although many times it would have been much easier to do so. Unless the case has a defect there's not much than can wear out in a ball bearing under normal use. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Tiddlerbasher

Well used reels have gears that have meshed/worn together. When a reel is dismantled and re-assembled it is likely that the gears don't mesh exactly the same way - producing a 'little roughness'. After use they tend to quieten down and smooth out - I've noticed this most with stainless gears.