Another clip I made for you

Started by gstours, December 26, 2018, 07:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

When you get some spare time and want to sit down for a halibut fishing blip.  Not much butt its here for you. :)

David Hall

I don't think I will ever get tired of watching your videos.
thanks Gary

handi2

I will get there one day. I'm on the hunt for a completely accessible used motor home right now.

I have to ask this;

Why does it take so long to land the fish at boatside? Do you leave them in the cold water while fishing? From someone thats knows nothing about cold, snow, and ice.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Gobi King

Thanks! good relief for Michigan cabin fever  ;D
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Dominick

Quote from: handi2 on December 26, 2018, 11:25:15 PM
I will get there one day. I'm on the hunt for a completely accessible used motor home right now.

I have to ask this;

Why does it take so long to land the fish at boatside? Do you leave them in the cold water while fishing? From someone thats knows nothing about cold, snow, and ice.

It is all in the technique.  Gary has a system that controls those strong fish and once secure he bleeds them and leaves them in the icy water.  No reason to bring a fish in the boat that can hurt you when it flops around.  You Florida boys don't know what you are missing.  Take a drive up to Maine for experience with "cold, snow, and Ice."  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Benni3

Gobi King

Keith, we do the same here in MI, when the water is low 40s and upper 30s, I but the gills and leave the fish on the stringer in the river to bleed out, we have Muskie/Pike in the big lakes and more on the east side, the livewell is used then.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Frank

Quote from: David Hall on December 26, 2018, 08:40:38 PM
I don't think I will ever get tired of watching your videos.
thanks Gary

Ditto, Would love to see more of your boat too.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

mo65

I love watching Gary's vids too! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

wascallywabit

Quote from: Dominick on December 27, 2018, 01:44:51 AM
Quote from: handi2 on December 26, 2018, 11:25:15 PM

I have to ask this;

It is all in the technique.  Gary has a system that controls those strong fish and once secure he bleeds them and leaves them in the icy water.  No reason to bring a fish in the boat that can hurt you when it flops around.  You Florida boys don't know what you are missing.  Take a drive up to Maine for experience with "cold, snow, and Ice."  Dominick

I've never fished in Florida, but I can give you two reasons why southern boys don't leave their catch in the water. Sharks and alligators. Us Jersey boys don't have 'gators but sharks can be an issue. Two ways to control unruly fish at boat side: club or bang stick.

gstours

Thanks for the seeming approval to post a nother video.  I,m not sure if I understand the question Keith?
   I,m filming most of the better fish 🎣 live,  I need more editing tips too.   The length of video can be compressed more.  Butt then some of the struggles are lost.
   If it's boring or repaticious please press delete.   Thanks 🙏

sdlehr

Quote from: Dominick on December 27, 2018, 01:44:51 AM
You Florida boys don't know what you are missing.  Take a drive up to Maine for experience with "cold, snow, and Ice."  Dominick
This Florida boy spent his childhood in NJ and a few years in his 20's on Lake Erie, then 6 years in Columbus, OH. I know what I'm doing down here. My last winter in Cols I saw -26F with windchill of -62F and two straight weeks of below zero temperatures. That was enough for me. That was when we could only afford to heat our house (with no insulation) into the 50s. Now when I'm not at work I probably wear socks only a handful of days each year and I've traded heat for air conditioning.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Frank

Quote from: gstours on December 27, 2018, 06:01:31 PM
Thanks for the seeming approval to post a nother video.  I,m not sure if I understand the question Keith?
   I,m filming most of the better fish 🎣 live,  I need more editing tips too.   The length of video can be compressed more.  Butt then some of the struggles are lost.
   If it's boring or repaticious please press delete.   Thanks 🙏

Don't change a thing. If I want to watch an edited, doctored up fishing video I'll just turn on the TV. Plus I love looking at how people have their boats rigged. Pick up a lot of good ideas that way. Please keep at it!
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

handi2

Gary i like seeing the entire fight to the finish. The water here is so hot we have to bleed and get a fish packed in ice immediately. I will be there one day.

Thanks,

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

gstours

Certainly taking good care of your fish is important. ;)  Like brewing or baking,  its a time and temperature thing.  Even in the winter up here we always take ice or snow for the salmon.  bleeding immediately and gutting is next.  this makes a very firm and blood free steak or filet.   The frozen fish keeps a good flavor longer as well.   Halibuts up here are different in that we usually bleed them and leave in the water tied off as you may have seen,  the water temp is 42-55 in the summer and air temp when its a hot day might be 72f.
    Some folks filet the halibut on board and leave the pieces whole as the rules state and cool them on ice and thats the way we do it on a several day trip from home.  Butt we generally have the fish put in a freeze a few hours after catching, with a ten mile commute. :)