YELLOWTAIL FROM SHORE

Started by Cor, December 29, 2018, 06:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

OK, here are the last four pages of the article.

Penn Chronology

And one of my favorite photos of Mr. Pots and Pans with his home made reel from pots and pans sitting on top of a Great White caught from the rocks.

Dominick

Mike, I loved the article.  Once again your research not only taught us some reel history but entertained also.  Kudos paisano, great stuff.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Penn Chronology

QuoteMike, I loved the article.  Once again your research not only taught us some reel history but entertained also.  Kudos paisano, great stuff.  Dominick

Thank you!

ChileRelleno

Nice article on a truly interesting man, his gear and the style of fishing... I was enthralled reading it... Very cool.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Alto Mare

Nice article Micheluccio! I really enjoy the green book and your others as well.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sdlehr

Thanks, Cor! Really cool to see video of a spot I've read stories about.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Cor

Quote from: Penn Chronology on December 30, 2018, 09:40:23 PM
Colin, this video brought back memories from five year ago research I did for an article in the "Reel News" ORCA publication. I may have posted the article somewhere else in these forums; but, I want to post it here for you to read and see how it relates to the real life experiences you have had on the Rooikranz. Part of my article moves to the land based fishing in Port Elizabeth, so it has a taste of both oceans. It will take two posts to get the entire article posted.

This article is Chapter 13 in my green book.

I loved the video!!

And thank you Ted for alerting me to the post.....

Mike C.

I fished with many of the "old guys" through the late 60's & 70's and heard so many stories, so a lot of it's history is also before my time.  Over the  years I commented on some parts of your queries on other South African sites.
Ill read your articles and make a note or two.    Mike Stott who featured very prominently in the Cape Town fishing and sporting scene and involved with the Pen 49A was still very much around and fishing those days and I had many conversations with him.    He was probably one of the most colourful characters around then.

I have the digital original of a 16mm movie that was made during the 50s of Rooikrans.   We always tried to keep that kind of stuff away from the public domain as some had the foresight to realise what would happen when too many people became aware of the location.    We regarded Yellowtail fishing as a sport of skill, one that you could not practice with 20 others on one rock.     This movie I attached here I've never made available to anyone other then 2 or 3 very good friends.

Ill get back to this later.

Quote from: Penn Chronology on December 30, 2018, 09:45:03 PM
And one of my favorite photos of Mr. Pots and Pans with his home made reel from pots and pans sitting on top of a Great White caught from the rocks.

I've never see this photo before, the reel looks like a "star drag" system somehow!
Cornelis

mhc

Thanks Cor, not a place for the faint hearted! I don't want to sound alarmist, but has anyone noticed all the open joints and defects in the rock structure?  ::)  ;D
Great insight into the early years as well Mike - the 'pots and pan' reels look interesting.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Cor

Quote from: mhc on December 31, 2018, 04:41:23 AM
Thanks Cor, not a place for the faint hearted! I don't want to sound alarmist, but has anyone noticed all the open joints and defects in the rock structure?  ::)  ;D
Great insight into the early years as well Mike - the 'pots and pan' reels look interesting.

Mike
Over the years much was changed by man and labour but it also happened naturally by wind and sea.   Ablutions were built, and two concrete huts, both were take away by the sea.   Personally I experienced large pieces of the "solid" mountainside rock just disappearing in to the ocean or chunks falling down from the mountain.  One piece of numerous tons that was a favourite fishing ledge we fished from with perhaps 4 or 5 guys at a time simply broke away and disappeared one winter storm.   Occasionally the place gets hit by very large swells.

Quite a number of anglers have fallen to their death from those ledges.
Cornelis

steelfish

Great vĂ­deo and memories

THANKS for sharing
The Baja Guy

Penn Chronology

QuoteMike Stott who featured very prominently in the Cape Town fishing and sporting scene and involved with the Pen 49A was still very much around and fishing those days and I had many conversations with him.    He was probably one of the most colourful characters around then.

What a small world. I find that amazing that you knew Mike Stott. He was the Penn Agent and I believe he is the reason why the Penn 49A exists. He did not build it; but, he brought it to the attention of Penn, which alerted Herbert Henze to the need for a wide, fast reel.

What is also odd is the Penn 349H Wahoo Special custom model that was a Carl Newell in conjunction with Penn creation. It is basically a 49A, but according to some very connected Penn guys, Carl Newell knew nothing of the 49A. The African reels were kept secret until a few discoveries came out of the closet.

QuoteNice article Micheluccio! I really enjoy the green book and your others as well.

Thank Sal. Always happy when someone enjoys my amateur writings.

Cor

Quote from: Penn Chronology on January 01, 2019, 07:01:22 AM
QuoteMike Stott who featured very prominently in the Cape Town fishing and sporting scene and involved with the Pen 49A was still very much around and fishing those days and I had many conversations with him.    He was probably one of the most colourful characters around then.

What a small world. I find that amazing that you knew Mike Stott. He was the Penn Agent and I believe he is the reason why the Penn 49A exists. He did not build it; but, he brought it to the attention of Penn, which alerted Herbert Henze to the need for a wide, fast reel.

What is also odd is the Penn 349H Wahoo Special custom model that was a Carl Newell in conjunction with Penn creation. It is basically a 49A, but according to some very connected Penn guys, Carl Newell knew nothing of the 49A. The African reels were kept secret until a few discoveries came out of the closet.

QuoteNice article Micheluccio! I really enjoy the green book and your others as well.

Thank Sal. Always happy when someone enjoys my amateur writings.

The world is a lot smaller now then it was during the 70's!    In Cape Town the world of shore based Yellowtail fishing was even smaller in days gone bye.    A relatively small number of guys (and a few woman) spent so many hours together in one place, often standing shoulder to shoulder chatting to one another and in the evenings spoke to each other by phone to find out what happened during the day, that it created a lot of camaraderie.

I sent you an E mail to your address registered on the site. 
Cornelis

Frank

Thank you Cor. This is the first thing I watched for 2019 and I hope there's more to come. I can't get enough of these home made, true to life fishing adventures. The article is outstanding.

Happy New Year,

Frank
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

conchydong

Great stuff from both Cor and Mike. Fishing is the one thing that we all share a love for no matter where we are geographically located.