Spin rod for snap casting

Started by Guldhamstern, December 30, 2018, 10:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

I have a el cheapo Eagle claw fly rod 5wt that I will never use for fly fishing, I never sold it cuz I have the plan to convert it to a UL spinning rod, I havent had the time to check for the necessary steps to make it usable as spinning rod.
I will make it some day  ::) ;D
I found some reviews of that fly rod eagle claw black eagle 8.6ft 5wt and it was a great bang for the buck, so, pretty sure can handle some 1/8oz - 1/4 lures with 10lb braid line
The Baja Guy

oc1

Alex, a 5 wt would be for about 1/4 oz and up.  Somewhere here on AT is a formula that gives you the conversion from fly rod line weight to lure weight for casting, but I can't find it right now.  I think it may be 1/16 ounce equals one line weight.  For example, an 8 wt rod would be good for throwing (8 x 1/16 =) 1/2 ounce.
-steve

steelfish

thanks Steve for the estimation on the lure rating

Im good if the rod can cast 1/4oz and up lures, I dont think I have anything ligther than 1/4oz anyway, heck, I will have hard time to fill a 3600 plano box with lures in the range 1/4 to 1/2oz lures.
now, as always the problem will find the time to do a proper modification to the fly rod, I have read that some guys just put a small spinning reel with 4 or 6lb line on the fly rod and use it like that, kind of akward at first but doable for a short time of testing or fishing.
The Baja Guy

philaroman

Quote from: Guldhamstern on December 31, 2018, 12:08:48 AM

I sure like to get a hold of that book! But it's seems rare, and especially har to get in sweden.
There was a god made like a hybrid fly/spin rod, by TFO aimed for XUL, think Mr. Loomis had something to do with that, once again hard to get in sweden.

you may be able to get the book from Sportsman's Finest in Austin,TX:
https://sportsmansfinest.com/pages/contact
call or e-mail about the book, specifically -- there is no link!

the Joe Robinson TFO model is TFG FWSF 601-2

Guldhamstern

Quote from: Dominick on March 19, 2019, 05:51:31 PM
Nice work Marc.  Good to see you out.  Has spring arrived in the northern hemisphere?  Dominick

Yes, or it is on it's way. It's still rather cold and gray, but all our small lakes are open and ice free now.

Sorry to say, i did not use that St. Claire devon yet. I did fish with 0,25 fc leader and would be afraid to lose it. But i must eventually use it.

The whole rig is a 6'6" (and that was the lenght of the blank. It is tip over butt. I did wrap it without any extra ornaments, just the simplest wrapping. Used some old spar varnish my dad found in our barn (most certainly from the same period Bush Jr. sat in the office). The guides are Airwaves from american tackle, in total there are 6+ tip top.

About lures, that day i only used a 3 g (1/9 oz), and i think i could be able to use a little heavier, but if anything, i would prefer to go lower weightwize. The whole concept i'm trying to rip of are from Erne St. Claire's book, and he writes: "only those lures...1/16 to 1/4 ounce in weight, should be considered as spinning lures."

I will do another rod soon, using a 2pc 8' 4wt glass. Don't know how short it will end up...Markus
"Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new."
-Henry David Thoreau

Guldhamstern

[/quote]

you may be able to get the book from Sportsman's Finest in Austin,TX:
https://sportsmansfinest.com/pages/contact
call or e-mail about the book, specifically -- there is no link!

the Joe Robinson TFO model is TFG FWSF 601-2
[/quote]

Some month ago i asked about both that rod and the book.
They'd have the rod, but was willing to ship it to sweden. I asked about the book and it was out of stock, and if they had one they would not ship. But i would not be surprised if they did print some more copies of the book in the future, 'cause there seems to be a market.
"Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new."
-Henry David Thoreau