Donnyboat's (Don) Boat in Harvey, AU - Jan. 1, 2019

Started by El Pescador, January 01, 2019, 01:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

Member of good standing, Donnyboat (Don) has asked me to post a few photos of his boat.  

This all started when Don and I were trying to get a video SKYPE call to work for Alan's 10th anniversary Website here at our home.
Finally got it going, and I have to admit, the connection issue was on my end, not Don's side,  I could see and hear him on the SKYPE call, but he could not see me.   Operator issue (me) using the iPad.  

So, with Don's permission, I will post his photos, and please Don, add your narrative as you see fit.

And by the way, when Don mentions an ESKY - I found out it is a generic term for ice cooler and also a Brand name product in Australia.

Here we go:

Hi Wayne, trying to send boat photos again as attachment, I will try with two photos at a time, I have also contacted Dominic, about Elisabeth Brown Wallace`s wife. I also invited him over if & when you & Jennifer come over, cheers Don.

Two more photos, the last one, looking to wards the back of the boat, you can see our large esky, two people can sit on that when fishing, & the third person can sit on the motor, & even place there feet out the back where the hammer is in the other photo, about fishing you asked how often we go fishing every day is the conditions are okay, but if it is to rough in the sea, then we go crabbing in the estuary, & net fishing Wednesday night, we use the small mullet in the rocklobster pots, if you come over I maybe able to get Wayne Stammers to take us out in his 52 FT cat. You asked me how often he uses it, about 3 times a year, some time s he takes it up to Exmouth, other time to the Abrolhos Islands west of Geraldton, try google them. Cheers Don.

This photo shows the pot tipper mounted on the side of the boat, & the second photo of the rope going over the roller of the tipper across to the winch, as Pat is holding the rope from the ground, when operating it I will be standing where the rope is coming to the star board side, as I have a switch there to stop the pot as it approaches the tipper, then I can twist the pot  around, & flick the switch to bring the pot up the tipper.

Another view of the tipper, & an inside view of the switch & tipper, the tipper will rest on the large esky as the pot comes on deck.

Subject: Me operating the tipper,
Yours truly, standing were I will be operating the switch & the tipper resting on the esky, by the way that esky is also used to sit on when fishing, with plenty of foot rests inside, around the edge of the deck. Cheers Don. ( end of photos ).

During the 10th Anniversay party, Gary-the-BUTTman asked Don about his using a Alvey reel, and this was his response:

Very good Wayne, the Alvey reels have very few wearing parts ay, as long as the round crew, nut is kept firm, nothing goes wrong with them, most of the models I have with the grease cup on them are the best, 650 C5 & that larger one you seen last week, 700 C5   8, holds about 5 to 600 M of 80 Lbs braid.
     Wayne I have been called out this morning, My mate has some roll on turf coming & he has just had a cataract, taken from his eye, so he should not be bending over to much, let aloan lifting, I may be back by midday, & tomorrow Pat & I will be pulling the rocklobster pots, I will sleep up there, & a mate is going to help me on Monday our time to pull them, we will try to get some crabs both days as well.
Cheers Don, thanks for letting me talk to Garry,  you really have the Ohana, thing good in your life & I respect you & Jenifer for it.

Don was also nice enough to provide me with this recipe for Rocklobster and shrimp:

Yes 8,000 tonnes out of an area 300 miles long is a lot of rocklobster, we going to pull the pots the next 3 days, so I wont be home till Saturday evening I will try & call you on Sunday morning my time. Also we are allowed to fish from now on,  Cheers Don.

I'll have to get ahold of Bryan for the Metric conversion thing!

That's all she wrote kids!

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

mhc

Nice boat Don, plenty of room for a few blokes. The pot lifter looks pretty good - thanks for showing us how it works.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

Nice boat Don, looks to be very capable. Has my buddy Wallace ever been on that boat?...miss that man.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Nice Donny.  Is the pot lifter your invention?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Rivverrat

Love the bottom hull design on your boat.   Very efficient... Jeff

Donnyboat

Good thanks for posting the photos Wayne, this was more about the way we mounted the winch in the boat, we placed some 6mm Stainless steel plate, which is screwed to the floor, then is also screwed to the fibre glass wall in two places, with place also inside, for  exstra strength, then we have a plate welded to the top @ a right angle then it crosses to the outside, were I have 4 bolts with plate once again under the fibre glass, to give it more strength, Wayne maybe able to place some of them photos to give every one more idea of our engineering, any way we have, had a few rocklobster pots court under a reef from time to time, to free them you have to get as much pull on the rope, & try to do a circle, until the pot comes out from under the reef, anyway we have`nt pulled the side out of the boat yet, so we have it mounted quite solid.
      Sal Wallace was invited to come out with me a few times, but allways had other commitments, given the fact that we decide to go out @ short notice, after checking the weather, he had some mates living much closer to him, that he fished with more often, I did drop of a few feeds of Dhu fish for them from time to time.
Don, or donnyboat

Donnyboat

Jeff, thanks it is a leeder hull, maybe a bit shelow at the front of the hull, we get a fair bit of wash on the wind screen, when moving into the breeze it has a 305 chev V8 in it have had it to 40knots on the esteruary.

Mike thanks, yes you can have 3 people fishing along the side.

Dominic these tippers have been around for many years, this one is constructed from alloy, you can lift it in & out easy, and just above the deck, it has a roller that the rope runs over to the winch, you see the scratches on the outside of the boat, just behind the tipper, I tried to gaff a 12 foot shark to get my rigg back, it spun over & the gaff left that , it took me 1hour 20minutes to get it to the side of the boat, using the 650 C5 Alvey reel, about a 6" spool ( best model with the grease cup ) with 80Lbs braid & only a short 80Lbs mono leeder, the centre pin on the Alveys reels are very strong. cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

El Pescador

Email from Don:       

"Hi Wayne, I don't wish to be a pest, but if you still have the photos of how I have the winch bolted to the inside of the boat,
& also the top view of how we have it bolted to the top port side, as that was what it is all about, thanks Don."

Following up with Don (Donnyboat) on the photos he sent me regarding how the winch is attached to the boat, here you go.

Photo of the bracket to support the winch.

How to bracket is attached to the top port side of his boat.

And lastly the winch mounted atop the bracket, ready for use.

Don, please post your follow up comments on the bracket and winch.

Thanks.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Cor

Great boat, will take you to where the tunas are.    Will have to look you up when next I get to OZ ;D
Cornelis

Donnyboat

Thanks Wayne for this second groupe of photos, very good of you, the top photo if you look iether side of the bolts, you will see some black dots, that is how far the SS plate is inside the fibre glass, for the exstra strength. also the top view, down near the rod holder, slightly to the right, there is a light black mark, that is how far the plate is inside both sides, for strength.
      by the way we went net fishing last night, caught our quota of 30 fish, 17 taylor two @ 45Cms and another 3 over 40cms, two mullet, and the rest were hearing, yesterday was very cool over here 25C and very over cast, it cleared up as we went out to set the net 6pm on the way back the wind started to pick up, & as I jumped into the ute to head home, it started heavy rain, had the wipers on all the way,
    My mate Barry has made up a punt, out of pontoon floats, it is 6M long 2.4M wide & has a 40HP 4 stroke on it,
    we parked it in water 400mm deep, really handy, so I usually drag my boat up there, so  that saves a lot of trouble, by the way we both left our phones on the charger, so sorry know photos, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Donnyboat

yes Cor, I told you many moons ago, to look me up , when your over here next, also the blue swimmer crabs are moving in, all boats are now geting there quota of 20/boat.
    yes the boat is quite good, I have had it out 54Kms west of Bunbury, on a sea, that was forecast for .5 of a swell.
    sounds a long way out but there is a large bay & at 54kms out but cape Naturalist is only 9 Kms South when we are out that far, and on the way home, the water glassed of & we sat on 50Kms/ hour all the way home. cheers for now Don, and thanks again Wayne.
Don, or donnyboat

gstours

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and pictures Donnyboat sir,  I enjoyed talking to you at Wayne house 🏡,  you have a good boat and enjoy life.   I made a pot tipper out of wood crudely as you might emagine it helped lever the heavy crab 🦀 pot past the square edge of the skiff,   Back when there were crab.
   Cheers to your Alvey reels too.    Thanks 🙏

Donnyboat

Yes thanks Gary, it was nice of Wayne, to allow us to talk on skype, it was nice & clear viewing, a wood tipper would be quite heavy I would think, the alloy tippers can be lifted in  & out very easy,,the rocklobster have moved out to sea now, the pros are working in 50M to 70M of water now, they will come back in about mid February, we had some good feeds from mid March to June, in about 13M of water, but as we get the heavier swells in the winter, they move back  out into deeper water, were the swells are more moderate, cheers for now Don.
Don, or donnyboat