4400SS anti-reverse issue

Started by elcarlstono, January 02, 2019, 01:57:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elcarlstono

I bought this 4400SS for my son. It was in good cosmetic shape but missing a couple of parts and just needed some love.  I got it running nicely except the A/R doesn't always want to engage. It has the new style A/R.  I did have to buy the lever, screw, and I think spacer, which I bought of an old style kit on ebay, but the rest is correct/original.  Anyway, I've narrowed down that the A/R isn't engaging if the eccentric is not seated all the way down.  In fact, I can pull the lever "out" and it works, but if I push it in all the way it does not catch.  It's almost like the spacer isn't thick enough, or the screw isn't tightening enough, but from mystic's explanation these parts are interchangeable (and there is only one set to order).  Is this not correct?
Here's pics of what I'm talking about:
The first is "out" and engaging.  The 2nd is vice-versa.

elcarlstono

My reading has informed me that A/R was a weak point on this reel, but not my particular issue.  What's happening is when the eccentric is pushed in flush to the body it puts friction on the bottom of the dog and it won't catch.  When it's pulled out it works fine. There is probably a good 1/16" of play here. Pretty sure an extra washer would fit the problem and if no one has any other suggestions I'll probably go down this road, though there HAS to be something else wrong here.  Something simple.

sdlehr

Show us picks of the eccentric on the inside, the problem isn't in the area where your pictures show. Take interior pics of both eccentric positions. You should be able to examine the area on the inside that limits the travel of the eccentric in and out. That's where I would start. You may need a shim as you state.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

elcarlstono

Problem solved. The eccentric screw was not seating all the way down into the eccentric; debris or jacked threads, not sure.  Fortunately it did in the spare I got in the old A/R kit and it's working perfectly now. 

sdlehr

Quote from: elcarlstono on January 07, 2019, 01:49:07 PM
Problem solved. The eccentric screw was not seating all the way down into the eccentric; debris or jacked threads, not sure.  Fortunately it did in the spare I got in the old A/R kit and it's working perfectly now. 
For Pete's sake, could it have been simpler? :)
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

elcarlstono

So one thing I've noticed since lubricating and reassembling this reel is that the reeling action is "stiff"; not a whole bunch, but stiffer than I think it should be. basically I wiped out all the old grease and re-greased everything with Penn reel grease.  Is this a result of too much, too little, wrong type, greased where I should have oiled, or what?
Otherwise the action is smooth.
Thanks.

foakes

For me, when servicing an old reel, EVERY BIT of the old grease gets removed —

All parts are cleaned with Simple Green or solvents — depending on if it is metal or graphite —

Then, after scrubbing (I use an ultrasonic cleaner to get 95% of the old crud out of the reel) —

But a toothbrush, cleaners, elbow grease, and lots of rinsing work well also —

It is important to clean every bearing and gear set with something that will get rid of the old grease — I use Lacquer Thinner.  Let the parts soak for a while, or overnight.

After another rinse and dry —

Inspect particularly every point where drive-train functional contact occurs — spool shaft, inside of pinion, crank handle axle, bearings, etc...

The spool shaft, inside of the pinion, gear shafts, any bushings, offside gear supports, etc... — get a treatment of burnishing at high speeds with "0000" steel wool until they are smooth and slippery to the touch without oil — shiny and like new.

Then a determination needs to be made: is this reel to be used primarily in Salt or Fresh water?

If salt, more grease than oil — and I am less concerned with sluggishness, since the grease protects the parts.

If fresh, more oil than grease — for smoothness.

If you have already done all of this — then there may be a binding issue somewhere, or?

But these are the first and simplest basic cleaning and prep steps...

On spinners, oil the smooth parts like spool shafts, gear supports, A/R shafts and mechanisms — grease the gears and bearings.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

El Pescador

Quote from: foakes on January 14, 2019, 05:27:07 PM
...    The spool shaft, inside of the pinion, gear shafts, any bushings, offside gear supports, etc... — get a treatment of burnishing at high speeds with "0000" steel wool until they are smooth and slippery to the touch without oil — shiny and like new.
Best,
Fred

Fred,

Is there any benefit to extend the "smooth & slippery" feel to the reel parts by using wetordry sand paper of very fine grit, ie, 1000, 2000 or 3000 grit?

I've read low profile bass reel super-tuned websites, and they look for a mirror shine on their parts.

Just asking, This from a guy who does not work on his work reels - I send them to you, Sal, Alan, Bryan, and when desperate, I take them over to Dominick's for his help.

On this site, I'm the Sergeant Schultz's from Hogan's Heroes ...  I KNOW NOTHING!!!

Thanks,

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

foakes

That would likely work well also, Wayne — good thought!

The biggest thing is to get the parts clean, smooth, reasonably shiny and slippery — rinse, dry, and lube.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Quote from: El Pescador on January 14, 2019, 05:42:32 PM

On this site, I'm the Sergeant Schultz's from Hogan's Heroes ...  I KNOW NOTHING!!!

Thanks,

Wayne
uh huh...   :D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Cor

Quote from: El Pescador on January 14, 2019, 05:42:32 PM
Quote from: foakes on January 14, 2019, 05:27:07 PM
...    The spool shaft, inside of the pinion, gear shafts, any bushings, offside gear supports, etc... — get a treatment of burnishing at high speeds with "0000" steel wool until they are smooth and slippery to the touch without oil — shiny and like new.
Best,
Fred

Fred,

Is there any benefit to extend the "smooth & slippery" feel to the reel parts by using wetordry sand paper of very fine grit, ie, 1000, 2000 or 3000 grit?

I've read low profile bass reel super-tuned websites, and they look for a mirror shine on their parts.

Just asking, This from a guy who does not work on his work reels - I send them to you, Sal, Alan, Bryan, and when desperate, I take them over to Dominick's for his help.

Thanks,

Wayne

I have always used very fine water paper for this job and sometimes finish it off with some rubbing compound.
No doubt you can feel the effect on conventional reels where the pinion does not disengage completely from the spool shaft.
Cornelis

elcarlstono

I initially did a "dry" assembly of the reel and it ran very smoothly. This was with all the old grease just wiped off. It wasn't until I applied the new grease that things got stiff. 
I did add a drop or two of penn oil to the bearings, but this was on the outside of the shields.