Chips and dip , Mexican White Sauce

Started by Miles Offshore, January 03, 2019, 01:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miles Offshore

This is kind of strange thing but since the influx of Mexican Restaurants the last few years in our area, the first thing that happens  when you sit down is a big bowl of chips and a bowl of both "white sauce" and red sauce gets set down on your table. So with my sons being in the military and my traveling a lot for the DOD before I retired i noticed in other parts of the country, notably California and Florida......no white sauce in Mexican fine eating establishments???? Anyway I thought I would share one of our restaurants recipe for those of you that have never been exposed to this delicious dip. Maybe I just wasnt hitting the right restaurants, i dont know. This is a little "warm" , but very addicting. Craig
Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.

Ron Jones

I've most often found it in Mexican-American households, very rarely a restaurant. Most of my eating has been West Coast. My favorite is salsa verde. Lee makes a good one.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dominick

I am surprised I have not heard of it after many trips to Mexico.  It sounds interesting.  Maybe one of our Mexicano members will chime in and let us know what part of Mexico that salsa comes from. 
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Miles Offshore

Its so addicting that its one of the first things my kids want to eat when they come home to visit, lol. Thanks guys, check it out!
Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.

Swami805

Never seen that before, if you throw a stick here you pretty much hit a Mexican restaurant here. Looks good,have to give it a try,thanks for posting
Do what you can with that you have where you are

conchydong

Now I know why they invented Miracle Whip.  ;D
My curiosity says I must try it.

I make a "white" dipping sauce for dipping  tostones (double fried, smashed green plantains) in that is a bit similar bit more garlicky.

I mix sour cream, mayo, lime juice, chopped cilantro and lots of garlic that has been smashed into paste using a molcajete (mortar and pestle).

Thanks for sharing,

Scott

ChileRelleno

Quote from: conchydong on January 03, 2019, 02:39:55 PM
I make a "white" dipping sauce for dipping  tostones (double fried, smashed green plantains) in that is a bit similar bit more garlicky.

I mix sour cream, mayo, lime juice, chopped cilantro and lots of garlic that has been smashed into paste using a molcajete (mortar and pestle).

Scott
That sound delicious.
I love tostones, but never had them with that kind of garlic white sauce.
Do you have a written recipe or approx proportions of ingredients?
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

conchydong

Quote from: ChileRelleno on February 19, 2019, 04:52:32 AM
Quote from: conchydong on January 03, 2019, 02:39:55 PM

Scott
That sound delicious.
I love tostones, but never had them with that kind of garlic white sauce.
Do you have a written recipe or approx proportions of ingredients?

Not written recipe but for a small batch I mix about 1/2 cup each of Mayo and sour cream. More or less of either doesn't matter. I smash about 4 or 5  cloves of garlic into a paste and add some lime juice (start with 1/4 lime if juicy) and about 1/4 of a small bunch of chopped cilantro. Mix and taste. The garlic should be the pronounced flavor with just a hint of lime and cilantro. I don't add salt as I salt the tostones liberally when they come out of the oil. If more lime or cilantro or garlic is needed adjust as necessary.

Scott

ChileRelleno

Quote from: conchydong on February 19, 2019, 02:30:47 PM

Not written recipe but for a small batch I mix about 1/2 cup each of Mayo and sour cream. More or less of either doesn't matter. I smash about 4 or 5  cloves of garlic into a paste and add some lime juice (start with 1/4 lime if juicy) and about 1/4 of a small bunch of chopped cilantro. Mix and taste. The garlic should be the pronounced flavor with just a hint of lime and cilantro. I don't add salt as I salt the tostones liberally when they come out of the oil. If more lime or cilantro or garlic is needed adjust as necessary.

Scott

Thanks
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Reel 224

Quote from: Miles Offshore on January 03, 2019, 12:39:20 PM
Its so addicting that its one of the first things my kids want to eat when they come home to visit, lol. Thanks guys, check it out!

Ruth and I had a hobby farm for many years and we grew Chile's with various other vegetables. I smoked Chile's and crushed them. I bet you wouldn't put two spoons fulls of them in your recipe. ;D

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

ChileRelleno

I buy a dried/crushed mix of chiles called Hillbilly Gunpowder.
IIRC it's a mix of Jalapeno, Habenero, Ghost, Scorpion and Reaper.
And it doesn't take much to season anything to hellfire hot deliciousness, 1/2 teaspoon will do a couple gallons of chile.
Ragnar Benson: