Vintage Tuna Rods

Started by Smols, January 03, 2019, 03:17:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smols

Can anyone tell me about these rods? There are no markings from either the manufacturer or the builder. I acquired them attached to two 12/0 senators. I have gone through one of the reels with the full Tani treatment and am now servicing the roller guides on one of the rods. I was told they were east coast tuna setups. Aftco bent butt, six roller guides marked TYCOON-FIN-NOR MIAMI. The upper rod is about 65" long and they are 7'4" attached to the butt section.

These are extremely stout rods. Is there a way to determine what line and drag specs these rods were built for? I may try to hang some weight from them to get a feel for how they load up but I'm not sure if I have enough weight.

Any information would be appreciated as I don't have experience with heavy tuna gear.

Smols

Smols

More pictures of the rods

Smols

More

oc1

They are really nice.  I have no idea but notice there is no high-build epoxy.  Perhaps urethane finish.  Eva grip.  Experts will be able to date the reel seat and handle to within a few years.  My wild guess is custom built Harrington from the 70's.
-steve

Smols

Thanks for your reply, Steve. Do you happen to know if Fin Nor made rods from this era? I noticed this posting on the bay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Custom-Tycoon-Fin-Nor-80-Lb-Fishing-Rod-Aftco-Curved-Unibutt-6-0-1-Pc/283319904375?hash=item41f72ea877:g:lY4AAOSwxrJcJosI:rk:8:pf:0

I found another listing for a rod that has the same roller guides that is listed as a fin nor as well....

Smols

54bullseye

Smols
John Taylor here those are some neat rods there were many made very much like them down in Florida from the 1960s through the 1980s and 90s. In that time the company was "Tycoon - Fin-Nor" and from the few catalogs I have seen they did make some rods but they had thread colors and patterns of there own mostly black yellow and white from what I have seen. They did also sell complete sets of roller guides like on your rods. I don't think your rods were factory though I believe they were customs by one of the many tackle shops in Florida or somewhere down south. They are still neat rods I have many similar to yours I love the different thread patterns. I would say yours are probably from the 90s because of the Aftco butts and reel seats. Maybe some one out there knows more than I ??  Nice rods !!!     John Taylor

oc1

I think anyone could buy Fin-Nor guides for their own build Smols.  Thank you for dating the butt and reel seat John.  
-steve

seacane

Smols
Fin Nor guides were not exclusive to their Tycoon brand rods. They were used by many rod builders. I am attaching two photos of Biscayne Rods thread patterns from the 70s & 80s which are very similar to the thread pattern on your rods. The last photo is of a 1977 Biscayne Rod 130 and the thread pattern is slightly different
Regards

Smols

Thanks Steve, John and Seacane.... I appreciate the comments and feedback. Here is what the rod looks like hanging 30lbs. I am sure it can easily handle 40lbs of drag.

reel man

These are unlimited rods for grandy bluefin and swordies. Much like the rods used on "Wicked Tuna".

Swami805

I'm thinking the rods were made late 70's early 80's and the butts were upgraded later. Looks like a 2 part epoxy used for finish from the thickness of it on the butt wrap. Just guessing they could be Harrington/Harnell blanks from the color but just a guess, no telling really without a label. Nice rods, should handle just about anything.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

boon

Side note, but with butts that long and considering the overall length of the rod, these are chair rods. Trying to fish them stand-up will be unpleasant.

thunnus69

I doubt they are solid E-glass and agree with others that they were probably custom made shop rods but not custom made for an individual.  Anyone having rods like those made would have had their name or boat name put on by the builder (probably).  I also think they could be E-glass tubular blanks by either Harnell, Sabre or even St. Croix who made tuna blanks a long time ago.  They are certainly chair rods and do not look like they have developed a bend from being trolled over the years.
Interesting rods in that the butts show signs of use however, the guides look pristine.  What would concern me are the gaps between the guide foot and overwraps.  These gaps will allow saltwater to seep in under them and corrode the guide feet, as well as crack and discolor the thread overwraps.  I would razor off the overwraps and then double overwrap the guides using a high build two part epoxy.  I mix threadmaster epoxy with flex coat epoxy.  If I were to rebuild these, once I got the guides off I would cut off the EVA handle which is probably hard due to its age and sun exposure and slide down some new EVA or Hypalon, both handle types can be purchased for under $12.  Next if the rods do have a bend to them I would mount the guides opposite (180 degrees) to where they were originally so when fished after the rebuild the rod will straighten when fished.  Do this only if the ferrule can be  detached from the aluminum butt and rotated 180 degrees to accommodate the new position of the guides. 
These rods are worth the rebuild for sure and doing so would not only increase their life but add value to them for little $$ (a foam handle).  Or you can leave them be and fish the hell out of them.  Good luck either way.   

GClev

The gold Intl is missing and that might date the rig to pre ~1975 when them yacht reels was the extra special stuff.  Like pinky rings at Balboa Bay Club.