alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Corrosion protect for electronics
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
October 19, 2019, 05:23:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Corrosion protect for electronics  (Read 559 times)
ScottOz

« on: January 02, 2019, 11:01:49 PM »

Hi Guy's, I recently got a new sounder and would like to know what is safe to use on the plugs to help prevent any corrosion problems in the years to come. I have yamalube grease, reelx and inox mx3 in my arsenal for reel maintenance. Also I am in a small open boat so the sounder gets a fair bit of spray on rough days. What's the best way to clean off the head unit when it's covered in dried sea spray.
Cheers Scott
David Hall
Firearms Group

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 11:15:54 PM »

Dielectric grease is what I use. Havenít had any corrosion issues on any of my electronics.  Just goop it in to the connection and plug it in and twist it locked.  Done, forget about it wonít be a problem.
Tiddlerbasher
Photo Group

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 02:23:19 AM »

From past experiences with electronics and vehicle electrics I broadly agree with David - silicone based grease.

If you want a detailed article on various greases/protectors:
https://www.w8ji.com/dielectric_grease_vs_conductive_grease.htm
theswimmer

Sierra Nevada

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 06:36:43 AM »

Dielectric grease is what I use. Havenít had any corrosion issues on any of my electronics.  Just goop it in to the connection and plug it in and twist it locked.  Done, forget about it wonít be a problem.

This .
My ski boat was rebuilt/reassembled in 1983 . We used dielectric grease on all the dissimilar metals where ever they came in contact with each other as well as all electrical connections , I have had zero problems .
This is a boat that has many aluminum components bolted together with stainless fasteners , also cast iron to aluminum with stainless and I have no fastener failures .Kind of hard to believe really .
David's right , Dielectric works.....

Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing.

Clark Gable
gstours
Firearms Group

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 09:47:27 AM »

I do agree with using dielectric grease,  I hose the display with Wd-40 and wipe clean.  Cover it to keep the direct spray and rain out when you can.   Butt let it breath from the bottom somehow.
Keta
D'oh!

Klamath Falls, OR US

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 10:42:42 AM »

I have used De-Ox and No Corrode dielectric grease but prefer De-Ox because it is not dark grey.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain
ScottOz

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 12:59:17 PM »

Thanks gents. Will get some of that grease.
Cheers Scott
Cuttyhunker

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 06:25:18 AM »

Green CorrosionX
alantani
admin
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 03:49:31 PM »

yeah, i just use corrosion x.

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: