Calcutta TE Deterioration

Started by nelz, January 03, 2019, 08:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

Picked up a nice used Calcutta TE 300 and ran into something odd while servicing. I thought the drive shaft on these reels was steel but now I see that it is just some kind of silver plating on it. Well that metal plating was peeling off pretty bad and getting all over the drag and roller bearing!

I ended up scraping all the plating off and cleaning the messy parts, it actually came off pretty easily. Now everything seems to be working, but the shaft is now brass colored. How the heck does this part deteriorate like that??? Never seen anything like it.  ???

philaroman

brass in hand, is better than out-of-stock steel  ;D

exp2000

Over-tightening the drag star can distort threads contributing to premature wear and deterioration.

Oftentimes replacing the drag star as well is the best idea otherwise you will just repeat the problem.

Of course other factors such as Dirt on the thread and poor lubrication will have an impact too.

I am in Australia but I have a TE wreck somewhere that I might be able to poach if you get stuck.
~

nelz

Thanks Brett. I wonder what shipping would run all the way from down under? BTW, I just saw your Facebook page, cool!

exp2000

I honestly would not consider replacing the shaft if flaking of the coating is the only problem.

So long as the threads are in tact and mating without any binding or splintering this is fully functional and in no wise affects the operation of the reel.

I usually run a Dremel brush over the threads to clean them up and remove any grime.

Another thing to look for are any steps where the metal washers indent in the lower end of the shaft.

I like to smooth any square edges here with a miniature half round file.
~

exp2000

Quote from: exp2000 on January 03, 2019, 12:21:26 PM

I am in Australia but I have a TE wreck somewhere that I might be able to poach if you get stuck.
~

See pics below:

Condition of thread appears good.

Some indentation due to drag washer pressure commonly seen on Calcuttas.
~

Lunker Larry

Treat that part like gold as you will not find one to replace it
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?