113H no room for star drag wheel to move after replacing HT-100 drag stack

Started by Swell Pal, January 03, 2019, 08:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swell Pal

Hello all!  This is my first post and let me start by saying I have been visiting for a few years and very thankful for all the knowledge and guidance given here. It has lead to many hours of stress relief working on reels in my garage.

My problem is I have a 113H and a 113HSP I replaced both drag stacks with a new HT-100 drag kit (part #6-113HSP) and subbed the HT-100 drag washer (part # 6-875) for the stock fiber washer (part # 4-349) under the main gear. I purchased all from mystic parts who are great by the way. Both reels had similar count drag stacks already in reel with the stock under gear fiber washer and reel drag worked fine.

On the 113H I also put on a new handle (part # 24B-40P)

Everything else is stock.

On the 113H there is absolutely no room for the star drag wheel to spin yet it doesn't feel like it is at max drag.

On the 113HSP the star drag wheel will turn but it feels like it bottoms out and rubs on the stock handle and doesn't get to the minimum drag setting it should. There is no line on this spoil but while holding the spoil and turning the reel handle with drag dogged down it feels like plenty of drag.

Any thoughts?

akfish

A couple things might help. First, the handle you are using has a thicker blade than the stock handle; it is meant for a 340 or 345GTi and isn't quite right for a 113H. Second, it could be that the last eared metal drag plate is not seated correctly and is thus causing the drag stack to be too high.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

the #6-875 washer is a poor man's substitute for the carbontex drag.  because it's thicker, the main gear often bangs against the right side plate because it sits too high.  if you back the star off, the main gear rubs against the side plate and you feel resistance.  when you crank down on the star, the drag stack is compressed and the gear sits a little lower and usually stops rubbing.  this might be part of the problem with the 113hsp.

for the 113h, it is possible that the slotted metal washer is sitting on "top" of the main gear and not in the two slots inside the main gear.  that is usually the reason that the star bottoms out so quickly with very little drag.  

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Swell Pal