Shimano Curado SF Issue

Started by steelhead_killer, January 05, 2019, 12:51:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelhead_killer

Whole reel functions as it should except that the spool will spontaneously, see attached video link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zFjdou0DMai1IYdxSLZy7Rb0-TJ8TH4H/view?usp=sharing

This is while the gear is engaged and only turns in the direction of retrieve.  Drag works fine, free spool is fine...???

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Andy
><)))">

philaroman

the A/R roller bearing (BNT1207) is shot

steelhead_killer

AR Bearing seems to be working fine.  The spool is turning in the retrieve direction when making this sound and the handle is stationary.  AR is stopping the spool and the drag engages properly.

????
><)))">

Zimbass

Hi Andy,

Did you disassemble the reel to service it, as it appears that the spool pin and pinion gear may not be engaging correctly.

The pinion bearing is held in place by a bearing retainer that only goes in one way.

Maybe a picture of the internals would help diagnose the problem.

Cheers,

Terry.

Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

alantani

ah, that's normal.  the ambassaduers do the same thing. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

philaroman

sorry...  brain-fart...  spoke too soon, previously

methinks Terry's on the right track & my feeble memory tells me I may have had similar issue w/ an early Curado/Chronarch:  something wasn't seated correctly (not sure what) & the cross-pin was popping in/out of the pinion, on its own...  did a complete dis/re-assembly & everything was fine

check for pinion wear (cross-pin slot, rather than teeth) & if spool is perfectly centered

:o  am I saying the Boss is wrong?   :o

steelhead_killer

I don't see any unusual wear on the teeth on the pinion.  I would say it's normal too if it was not intermittent.   New pinion is discontinued and out of stock everywhere that I normally go.

Andy
><)))">

Pro Reel

It's not the teeth on the pinion gear. It's the engagement slots on the end of the pinion gear. The slots fit over the spool shaft pin. That's what actually turns the spool. If the slots are worn, wobbled out etc. then they can hop over the pin. The pinion gear is held in place by the yoke and is being pushed against the spool pin by the yoke springs. With the spool out of the frame you can use a pencil or something and push against the pinion gear and you will see that it doesn't take much pressure to push it further into the reel. That's what's happening. The clicking noise is the slots on the bottom of the pinion gear hoping over the spool drive pin. You may be able to fix it with a file but most likely it needs replacing. The actual spool drive pin may also be damaged. The SF spool doesn't use a removable pin because it doesn't have a spool mounted bearing. If it's damaged you may need a new spool. The pinion is almost impossible to find now. I used the last new one I had several months ago. I probably have several used ones that came from buzzy feeling reels. You might check with a place in Texas called dads ok tackle.

Pro Reel

I've also seen this happening on a reel which someone installed the yoke upside down. The pinion was just barely touching the drive pin

philaroman

yeah, that's what I was trying to say

thank's for all the thorough details & correct terminology that I could not provide...  it takes a pro

did you mean https://www.dadsoletackle.com/ -- good people!

steelhead_killer

Teeth on the pinion
1.  https://flic.kr/p/2e77do2
2.  https://flic.kr/p/2cHf8zD
3.  https://flic.kr/p/2cHf8E8

Looks like that could be the issue but without a new one to compare it with it is hard to draw an conclusions...

Thoughts?
><)))">

Pro Reel

they are definitely rounded off. Don't know if that was the cause or a symptom. Was the pinion yoke installed upside down. That's one possible cause. The reel will function but stiff to engage because the ramps on the yoke are upside down and the spool engagement pin is just barley inside the notch on the bottom of pinion. The other possible scenario is if the tension disk under the brake side bearing is gone or has a very deep divot in it. In that case it lets the spool slide all the way to that side of the reel which could also make the engagement pin just barely catch the tips of the pinion gear notch.

alantani

um, this is still normal.  ambassaduers are the same way.  this is what the reel is supposed to do.......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

philaroman

hmmm...

Andy, you said it's "intermittent"

when it's NOT  happening, does the handle turn?

Lunker Larry

I'm with pro reel on this one.  If it has been put back together properly and the yoke is good, I'd say it is the bottom of the pinion. Haven't seen this as normal on any of the Curados I've worked on and they are a popular muskie reel.

Just noticed the pics posted. That doesn't look too bad.

OK. Just tried to duplicate the problem on a 300E and a Bantam Curado and was unable to do it. Didn't take them apart, just tried every which way to get it to make that sound. No go.

If the pinion is good it is put together incorrectly.

Larry
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?